turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

GioB
Returning Member

can i download a different person's 1099 using my intuit account

Hello,

It seems TurboTax Desktop now requires you to login to an Intuit account, before you can download any 1099s from financial institutions. I am also preparing other people's taxes. Can I use my Intuit login account, to then download other people's 1099s ? (please ay yes 😉 or does each person filing require a separate Intuit account to download their own 1099s ?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

To import any Form 1099's from a brokerage or financial institution you must have the User ID and Password for that brokerage or financial institution.  It has nothing to do with the TurboTax account you are using.

GioB
Returning Member

Yes correct, but TurboTax Desktop Deluxe asks you to FIRST login to an Intuit account for "added security". Only Then can you provide credentials for financial institution 1099 download. I think this started in 2020 or 2021 Turbotax Desktop.

HeatherPLO
Intuit Alumni

Yes, you will have to log in.  Please see the Help Article here on how to import 1099s.  

As far as preparing other returns on your login, we will need to take a closer look at your specific situation, please reach out to us directly using the Help Article here.  This ensures you will get to the correct department as quickly as possible.  

@GioB

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
GioB
Returning Member

Hello,

Your instructions are out of date, nor did you answer my question.

Beginning with 2021 Turbotax, if you want to download 1099, you are asked to FIRST login to Intuit account, ONLY THEN, will you be allowed to provide user and pw for financial institution for subsequent 1099 download. 

QUESTION: Why are we now (2021 TT) required to log into the Intuit account first ? ... Intuit (middleman)  employees could then have access to my financial account credentials - seems LESS secure (?). Is it secure to download other people's 1099s over my single Intuit account ?

thanks

You would always have to log into the intuit account first for it to automatically go through. If you are just generating a csv file first from the brokerage site and then uploading it to intuit return, then you do not have to log in to the Intuit first.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies