turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jan2ohara
Returning Member

can I declare medical transportation

I was diagnosed with cancer this year and I wanted to know if I could declare the lyft rides that I paid for out of pocket on my 2022 tax returns?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
KochuK
Employee Tax Expert

can I declare medical transportation

Hi jan2ohara,

I am very sorry about your situation. Heart felt wish for your safe quick recovery.

To answer your question, below is what IRS says:

If you itemize your deductions for a taxable year on Schedule A (Form 1040), Itemized Deductions, you may be able to deduct expenses you paid that year for medical and dental care for yourself, your spouse, and your dependents. You may deduct only the amount of your total medical expenses that exceed 7.5% of your adjusted gross income.

Deductible medical expenses may include: 

Payments for transportation primarily for and essential to medical care that qualify as medical expenses, such as payments of the actual fare for a taxi, bus, train, ambulance, or for transportation by personal car; the amount of your actual out-of-pocket expenses such as for gas and oil; or the amount of the standard mileage rate for medical expenses, plus the cost of tolls and parking.

https://www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc502

Depending on your filing status, there is a Standard Deduction in comparison with Schedule A Itemized Deduction. If your itemized deduction (mortgage interest, various tax items, charity, the amount of medical expenses over 7.5% of Adjusted Gross Income) is not more than Standard Deduction, then the Lyft medical transportation cost would not be helpful in your 2022 tax filing.

Kindly contact TurboTax customer service to discuss if you have enough Itemized Deductions, thus need to track Lyft fees.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/turbotax-support/en-us/help-article/account-management/turbotax-phone-number...

Hope the above helps.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies