Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Can I change my recovery rebate credit if the check came in the mail?

I am still trying to get to the truth that this rep has told me. The gentleman said it does not matter when you signed up for it. The email goes out in waves. I myself only know of one person that the email was sent out to which was on the 8th. I don't understand how some folks received the email and others didn't . I am on the phone with a supervisor. Hopefully he or she should have more information and to collaborate what the representative has told me

DawnC
Expert Alumni

All you can do is keep checking the status of your return for now.   Some returns were eligible for review, but not all of them.  If you get a refund for the recovery rebate and receive the payment later, you would need to file an amended return.   Amending is necessary when you claimed credits (recovery rebate) that you are not eligible for. 

The IRS is not accepting tax returns until Feb 12th.  If you have already submitted your return, you will notice that you can't make changes because your return is pending.  If you receive a stimulus payment while your return is being processed, wait until your return gets rejected or accepted.  If it gets rejected, you can make the change on your return before you re-submit the return.  If it gets accepted, wait until your return is fully processed and you have received your refund.   If the IRS adjusts your return, you don't have to do anything.   But if they don't adjust it and you got the payment and claimed the rebate, it is then that you would need to file an amended return.   So, you are not going to know if you need to do the amendment until around the end of February.    @chartuck

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

This will be helpful for those of us who don't get the opportunity to make changes before TT submits returns to the IRS on the 12th, but I am still hoping I will be able to make the change before the 12th.   I also signed up to review and modify but have not received the instructions expected on the 8th.

Does TT need to take some action to "return" my pending tax return for review and modification?  Is that what will trigger the email to me?

Would it be possible to post the email instructions in this discussion?

This is what I got after I got a notification that my return was rejected. I'm not sure if it will be of any use if its not been rejected yet though

Dear TurboTax Customer,

Your 2020 Tax Return has been rejected, so that you can review the Recovery Rebate Credit section of your return.

To do this, please follow the instructions below to go through the Federal Review section of your return and verify your stimulus information.

If you're using the CD/download version of TurboTax:

1. Open your return.
  2. Select the Federal Taxes tab on the top menu, then select the Federal Review tab just below it.
  3. On the Let's make sure you got the right stimulus amount screen, select Continue.
  4. Make any adjustments you need and Continue.
  5. When you're done, select File from the top menu and continue through the screens to e-file your return. You won't be charged for filing.

If you're using the online version of TurboTax:

1. Sign in to TurboTax.
  2. Open your return by selecting Review/Edit in any of the topics on Tax Home.
  3. Select the Federal tab from the left menu, then select Federal Review from the top menu.
  4. On the Let's make sure you got the right stimulus amount screen, select Continue.
  5. Make any adjustments you need and Continue.
  6. When you're done, select File from the left menu and continue through the screens to e-file your return. You won't be charged for filing.

Thank you for using TurboTax!

DawnC
Expert Alumni

If you submitted the form prior to Feb 6th and your return was eligible for review, you may see a rejection notice before the 12th.   The rejection is what unlocks the return and puts it back into a ''preparation'' stage.   TurboTax can do that on some returns, but not all.    If your return gets rejected today or anytime before it gets accepted, you will be able to edit the recovery rebate form.  

If it does not get rejected, the IRS will process it.  If they adjust it (sometimes they do, sometimes they don't), you won't have to do anything.   If they don't adjust it, you will be able to e-file an amended return to correct it.    But you are not going to know until it is processed.

So, at this point, keep checking the status until you see a rejection notice or acceptance notice.   

I've already claimed the Recovery Rebate Credit. How can I review and update my 2020 tax return?

Forget

duncanjstacy
Returning Member

for the 2021 Taxes how can I change my answer to the stimulus question... 

Vanessa A
Expert Alumni

To change your stimulus answer, click Federal>>Final Review and then click through until you come to the question asking if you received your stimulus payment. 

duncanjstacy
Returning Member

I have TurboTax Home and Business.  When I click Federal Review it does not present me with the chance to change my answer.  I also thought about deleting the return and starting over but, none of the help responses I have seen provide me with the right steps to do that either.  I need help to either figure out why I can't change the stimulus answer from no to yes or how can I delete this return....  nothing out here is working and I've spent hours trying to find it.

@duncanjstacy Using the TurboTax Home & Business edition you should be able to click on Personal and then click on Other Tax Situations.  Scroll to the bottom of the page and click on Done with Other.  The next screen should be the one where you are asked about the stimulus payments.

The only way to delete the return is to delete the tax data file for the tax return.  The tax data files and any saved PDF's of the returns are stored by default in the Documents directory in the TurboTax folder.

duncanjstacy
Returning Member

I see the "personal" - other tax situations...  when I click done with other I get a screen which asks "Have you entered all your tax forms or papers? 

Checked is the Yes I have entered everything - lets review...  When I select continue I do not get the the stimulus question and if I proceed it takes me all the way to lets file???

DawnC
Expert Alumni

Search for stimulus in the search bar and click on the Jump to stimulus link in the results.   This will take you back to the stimulus questions.   If you do not get the stimulus questions from the search bar (search while you have your return open), it is possible that you have added income that put you over the limit to qualify or you checked the box that says ''someone else can claim me''.  

duncanjstacy
Returning Member

I did search and "jump to stimulus" but I did not get any option to change... My issue is that prior to answering "no" I was getting a refund of $x.xx  and once I selected no I did not get  IRS EP 3 the refund jumped significantly which I now know we did get partial stimulus payments.  

DawnC
Expert Alumni

Use the search bar and search for stimulus.   Use the Jump to stimulus link.    Did you add any income or change your dependent status since you saw the stimulus question?   If your AGI is too high to claim the recovery rebate, you won't see the questions.   Or if you are a dependent, you won't see the questions.    When you preview your return in Forms Mode, is the recovery rebate on Line 30?   @duncanjstacy

@duncanjstacy wrote:

I did search and "jump to stimulus" but I did not get any option to change... My issue is that prior to answering "no" I was getting a refund of $x.xx  and once I selected no I did not get  IRS EP 3 the refund jumped significantly which I now know we did get partial stimulus payments.  

Click on Forms.  When in Forms mode click on the Recovery Rebate Credit Worksheet (Recov Rebate Cr) from the list on the left side of the screen to open the worksheet.  Scroll down to Line 13 of the worksheet and enter the amount of the 3rd stimulus payment you did receive.

Click on Step-by-Step at the top right corner of the screen to return to the program interview.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies