Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

fchavez24

Can I change my recovery rebate credit if the check came in the mail?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

TurboTax will let you update your return for the Recovery Rebate Credit, but beware that you only have until Feb. 6th (tomorrow) to make the change.  See the following for information:

The Recovery Rebate Credit is the way people who were eligible for a stimulus payment, but did not receive one or received less than the amount they were due, claim their stimulus payment.  However, if you have already received the full amount of your stimulus payment and also claim the Recovery Rebate Credit on your return, this will trigger a review at the IRS that could delay the time it takes to process your return and for you to receive your tax refund.

We know how important these funds are and don’t want you to experience any delay in receiving your tax refund. Since the IRS has not opened yet, we would like to give you the opportunity to review and update the Recovery Rebate Credit portion of your 2020 tax return before they open on February 12th. 

If you want to review and update your 2020 return, please enter your information here by February 6, to have your 2020 tax return sent back to you.  You will then receive an email from TurboTax on February 8, letting you know that your return is available and providing you with detailed instructions on how to review, update and re-file your tax return without the Recovery Rebate Credit.

If you do not want to review and update your 2020 return, then you're all set.  No further action is required. We will securely hold your tax return and send it to the IRS when they begin accepting e-filed returns.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-topics/help/i-ve-already-claimed-the-recovery-rebate-credit-ho...

View solution in original post

31 Replies

TurboTax will let you update your return for the Recovery Rebate Credit, but beware that you only have until Feb. 6th (tomorrow) to make the change.  See the following for information:

The Recovery Rebate Credit is the way people who were eligible for a stimulus payment, but did not receive one or received less than the amount they were due, claim their stimulus payment.  However, if you have already received the full amount of your stimulus payment and also claim the Recovery Rebate Credit on your return, this will trigger a review at the IRS that could delay the time it takes to process your return and for you to receive your tax refund.

We know how important these funds are and don’t want you to experience any delay in receiving your tax refund. Since the IRS has not opened yet, we would like to give you the opportunity to review and update the Recovery Rebate Credit portion of your 2020 tax return before they open on February 12th. 

If you want to review and update your 2020 return, please enter your information here by February 6, to have your 2020 tax return sent back to you.  You will then receive an email from TurboTax on February 8, letting you know that your return is available and providing you with detailed instructions on how to review, update and re-file your tax return without the Recovery Rebate Credit.

If you do not want to review and update your 2020 return, then you're all set.  No further action is required. We will securely hold your tax return and send it to the IRS when they begin accepting e-filed returns.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-topics/help/i-ve-already-claimed-the-recovery-rebate-credit-ho...

CNT68
Returning Member

The article states that you need to register by the 6th and then Turbo Tax will send an email on the 8th (today) letting you know how to review, update and re-file. Has anyone received the email yet? I registered, but have not received an email with instructions. Thank you.

The deadline to recover your return and make changes was February 6.  We do not yet know how the IRS will resolve this. You will be contacted if anything needs to be done on your part.  

@fchavez24 

CypherAnt

As of 4pm Eastern, NO I have yet to get my return back either...

LinaJ2020
Expert Alumni

If you have claimed the Recovery Rebate credit on your tax return and later received the stimulus check, you can return to the TurboTax program to make adjustment without amending.  

To see instructions how to do that, click here: Recover Rebate Credit update

The Recovery Rebate Credit is a credit that was authorized by the CARES Act.  If you were eligible for an Economic Impact payment, commonly referred to as a stimulus payment, but did not receive one or you received less than the full amount as an advanced payment in 2020 then you can claim the Recovery Rebate Credit on your 2020 tax return. To learn more, click here: Recovery Rebate Credit

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Not sure what this "expert" is on about since the link just takes you to the page telling you that you will receive the email by the 8th. Its now after 7pm my local time and I have yet to receive any email from turbotax so it feels like I've been mislead and will have to deal with the penalty for filing my taxes through them early like I have for the last 8yrs by having them held up by the IRS since I just got my "stimulus" on the 4th.

BrandiLO
Intuit Alumni

These emails are sent out in waves. If you signed up for the email, you should get one. Please be sure to check your junk/spam folder for the email in addition to your inbox. If you do not receive the email by the end of the day, please let us know so we can look into this further.

CNT68
Returning Member

What time is considered end of the day for you? It is 8:47 pm and I still have not received an email.

I haven’t received either.

AshleyLO
Intuit Alumni

If you still have not received your email yet, please reach out to our customer service representatives for further assistance with this. Here's how you can reach someone: Contact TurboTax

CNT68
Returning Member

I finally received the email around 10:40 PM ET last night and I was able to review and make changes to my tax return. Thank you.

I called and spoke to a rep and he told me that it is a delay in getting all the emails out on the 8th, something to do with the irs! He said that everyone should receive them in 24-48 hours up until the 11th of Feb.. Dont know how true this is because was told so many different stories today alone! Smh

Forget

I got my email at 10 till midnight last night. In reply to one of the responses I don't understand why they would say it was because of the IRS or how they would have anything to do with to begin with if its never been turned into them in the first place or so we are told. If they cant be turned over to the IRS until the 12th wouldn't that mean its sitting in turbos system waiting and they could have made this whole situation much easier on everyone.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies