Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the Refund! >> Event happening NOW!!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can I be held responsible for taxes on profit deposited into an account I don't have access to?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

Can I be held responsible for taxes on profit deposited into an account I don't have access to?

Income to you is reported on your income tax return.  Why would you put that in an account not accessable by you ?

I didn't put it there. It was an online trading account. I was scammed.  I don't have access to the account unless I pay a fee.  The "account manager" is now saying I owe her money and threatening to report to the IRS if I don't pay and is refusing to close the account. So I'm just wondering if I am responsible for the funds.

DO NOT pay anything to a scammer ... even if you pay the ransom the account probably will not be released.  A conman will always try to squeeze out every penny they can ... first file a police report and admit you got scammed and  see the info here :  https://www.usa.gov/stop-scams-frauds

If you report the scam there may be a chance to recoop some of your loss or at least get the satisfaction of turning them in.  

And if this is truely  a scam then there are no profits or losses to report ... there will be no tax reporting form issued... the money is gone and they are trying to milk you for more.  

TomD8
Level 15

"It was an online trading account."

With what broker?

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.

you probably gave her your SSN to set up the account. assuming she is truly a scammer and something else isn't going on that was unmentioned you could find yourself the victim of identity theft.  file form 14039 with your tax return.   also, you can't deduct the money you gave her for "investments".  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies