turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can anyone help? I need help filling in lines 1-15 on my 2020 1040x form and I can't reach customer support

If I call customer support, they only have a machine answer and tells me my account doesn't exist when it obviously does. And then it just hangs up.  Frustrating.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

11 Replies

Can anyone help? I need help filling in lines 1-15 on my 2020 1040x form and I can't reach customer support

If you are filling in the 1040X manually then use the instructions here :  https://www.irs.gov/forms-pubs/about-form-1040x

It may be easier to use the 1040 to make the changes  then use the figures from the  original 1040 & the new 1040 for the column A & C  of the 1040X.

@05ae84abda97 - 

Column A is copied DIRECTLY from your original return 

Column B are the changes 

Column C is just adding Column A plus column B

what is prompting the change from your original return? 

Line 6, column B can get tricky if you are doing this manually. Depending on why you are amending, it may be a zero.

post back why you are amending....

@NCperson it was amended because I had put down the wrong dependency status. The change was dependent -> independent. Are the lines from the original 1040 supposed to be a direct 1-1 with the 1040x? It looks like they say different things. And my original 1040 was mostly blank already as well. 
My form was already accepted back then even without filling in the lines. I have to now today because my school has asked me too. If that’s relevant at all

If you are filling in the 1040X manually then use the instructions here :  https://www.irs.gov/forms-pubs/about-form-1040x

@05ae84abda97 - can we step back a minute?  Normally, those who are students are dependent of their parents.....normally, but not always.

I will admit it does depend on the student's age and whether the student is providing more than 50% of their own support.....it would be somewhat unusual for someone under the age of 24 to be providing more than 50% of their own support as defined by the IRS. 

Can you provide some details on your age and family situation and how you support yourself?  What causes you to beleive the you are independent and not dependent?  Sorry, but you stated you were a student and that triggered the question whether changing the status is the right thing to do. 

as a PS, the question that is asked of students on the tax form is CAN someone else claim you, not whether someone else claimed you - there is a difference! 

@NCperson That shouldn’t be an issue. I’ve already talked to a TurboTax expert on this back when I was getting help on my amended return. I just simply need help filling in those lines and nothing more. 

@05ae84abda97 

If no dollar amounts are changing, the Col B will be all zeros.

That means Col A and Col C have the same amounts.

It might be a lot easier to just supply the revised 1040 that has the correct box checked instead of a 1040-X.

if those requesting this info are reasonable.

--

@fanfare are the lines for the original 1040 a 1-1 to the 1040x though? I thought it looked different but I’m not sure. And I don’t think they would take the original

@05ae84abda97 = it is not '1 for 1' but I am confident that if you print out the 1040 and the 1040X you will EASILY see how the line items frpm the 1040 form map over to the 1040X form

Give it a try  😊

Maybe you do need professional help.

And they should take an updated Form 1040.

Note: you don't send the updated Form 1040 to IRS but there's no reason not to give it with a loan application as your tax return.

@05ae84abda97 

If dollar amount are changing due to your changed dependent status, then Column B has to show the difference.

Or consult a friend or other family member who knows about such things.

@05ae84abda97 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies