Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the Refund! >> Event happening NOW!!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

What is the IRS phone number?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Call the IRS:  1-800-829-1040  hours 7 AM - 7 PM local time Monday-Friday

When calling the IRS do NOT choose the first option re: "Refund", or it will send you to an automated phone line.  

So after first choosing your language, then do NOT choose Option 1 (refund info).  Choose option 2 for "personal income tax" instead.

Then press 1 for "form, tax history, or payment".   

Then press 3 "for all other questions."

Then press 2 "for all other questions."  

- When it asks you to enter your SSN or EIN to access your account information, don’t enter anything.  

- After it asks twice, you will get another menu.

Then press 2 for personal or individual tax questions.

It should then transfer you to an agent.

View solution in original post

15 Replies

Call the IRS:  1-800-829-1040  hours 7 AM - 7 PM local time Monday-Friday

When calling the IRS do NOT choose the first option re: "Refund", or it will send you to an automated phone line.  

So after first choosing your language, then do NOT choose Option 1 (refund info).  Choose option 2 for "personal income tax" instead.

- When it asks you to enter your SSN or EIN to access your account information, don’t enter anything.  

Then press 2 for personal or individual tax questions.

It's now press "3" for the 2nd one!
deaven93

[deleted]

What’s your he deadline of me receiving my tax return

What’s the deadline for me to receive my tax return
Dwigham

[phone number removed]

jmaswl92
Returning Member

trying to reach IRS regarding long overdue refund???

Phone number is listed above.

Turbo Tax only gives you an estimated date. The IRS usually pays most refunds within 21 days. But these are not normal times. This year is taking the IRS longer to send the refunds. There are millions more people filing returns to get the Stimulus payment.

See this news article on Refunds being delayed
https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/personalfinance/where-is-my-damn-irs-tax-refund-new-answers-emerge-a...

Only the IRS can tell you. If your return was Accepted then check IRS Where's my refund
https://www.irs.gov/refunds/

When will you get your refund?
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/refund-status/help/when-will-i-get-my-irs-tax-refund/01/25589

IRS - Questions about Refunds
https://www.irs.gov/refunds/tax-season-refund-frequently-asked-questions

@jmaswl92 wrote:

trying to reach IRS regarding long overdue refund???

Call the IRS: 1-800-829-1040 hours 7 AM - 7 PM local time Monday-Friday
When calling the IRS do NOT choose the first option re: "Refund", or it will send you to an automated phone line.
So after first choosing your language, then do NOT choose Option 1 (refund info). Choose option 2 for "personal income tax" instead.
- When it asks you to enter your SSN or EIN to access your account information, don't enter anything.

Press 2 for personal or individual tax questions.
Then press 4 for all other inquiries
Or you can contact your local IRS office. See this IRS website for local IRS offices - http://www.irs.gov/uac/Contact-Your-Local-IRS-Office-1 or call 1-844-545-5640 to set up an appointment

David, I really appreciate all of your help today, however, the phone number that you gave me, even after I followed all of your directions, ended up giving me the very same message that I had told you that I had received before....."Due to high volume of calls, please call back later, or call back on another business day". Thank you.  Thank you for your help, David. Cheryl Hagy

@chagy55 wrote:

David, I really appreciate all of your help today, however, the phone number that you gave me, even after I followed all of your directions, ended up giving me the very same message that I had told you that I had received before....."Due to high volume of calls, please call back later, or call back on another business day". Thank you.  Thank you for your help, David. Cheryl Hagy

The IRS currently has about 19 million unprocessed 2020 and 2019 tax returns - many have been waiting since Feb and all are trying to call the IRS - only about 2% of all calls get answered.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

There is no deadline to receive your return, HOWEVER, a little known fact that people are unaware of is, that after 45 days of you receiving your confirmation from the IRS that they have Accepted your Return, the IRS MUST pay you Interest ON your Refund. I found this out when I was trying to find out info on MY Refund. C. Hagy

Thanks

JF00

I called IRS the ways it is explained here but unfortunately they came back and said “due to high volume calls we are not able to answer. Try again another day”. This is a never ending story. It seems IRS it is uncommunicato these days. I have not yet received my refund from 2020 and it seems I will never get an answer to why!! Online status only says “being processed”. Super frustrating…

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies