turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

California W2. Box 20 blank, but box 19 says "CASDI" and a dollar amount. Box 18 says 0.00

California W2.

Box 20 blank, but box 19 says "CASDI" and a dollar amount. Box 18 says 0.00. Turbo tax keeps giving me an error saying that box 20 cannot be blank.

I have called my payroll dept and they insisted that there is no locality tax in CA and that my W2 is correct.

I have checked this forum and some answers say that the CASDI should be in box 14. My box 14 is blank. 

I have had a family member show me some forum from 2018 that says I can put "CASDI" in Box 20. 

So what should I do? Move info from box 19 to box 14? Or put "CASDI" in Box 20 as the locality name?

Thank you

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Irene2805
Expert Alumni

California W2. Box 20 blank, but box 19 says "CASDI" and a dollar amount. Box 18 says 0.00

Enter the dollar  amount from box 19 on your form into Box 14 of the W-2 entry screen, with the description CASDI.  If you have a Tax Category column, select CA SDI tax from the list.  See screenshot, below.

View solution in original post

6 Replies
Irene2805
Expert Alumni

Enter the dollar  amount from box 19 on your form into Box 14 of the W-2 entry screen, with the description CASDI.  If you have a Tax Category column, select CA SDI tax from the list.  See screenshot, below.

Many many thanks. I was able to finish my taxes now.

But was my W2 inaccurate then? Or did they just complete the W2 in an alternative way?

BillM223
Expert Alumni

"But was my W2 inaccurate then?" That's a polite way of saying it. 

The IRS says "Use these boxes (boxes 15 - 20) to report state and local income tax information". CASDI belongs in box 14, along with a dollar amount, as Irene explained.

I have no idea why your payroll people would say that there is no locality tax yet would put entries in boxes 18-20. To put it politely, "that don't make sense".

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Per https://www.edd.ca.gov/pdf_pub_ctr/de8829.pdf page 41 of PDF / 47 printed, it states that Box 19 should be used for CASDI, and that Box 14 should only be used if there is already a value in Box 19.  While I agree I normally see it in Box 14 and TurboTax clearly prefers this, California clearly has indicated that they want it in Box 19.  I feel this is a TurboTax defect to not handle this scenario, when the EDD tells payroll that they want it in Box 19.  I asked payroll to put it in Box 14 and they refused on this grounds.

I just got my 2020 W2 from my employer. Now they put CASDI in box 14. Interesting.

Thank you for your answer. Now for 2020, they put that info in Box 14. They figured out they "dont make sense." Thank you

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies