Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Bug in turbotax for K-1 line 11

This is for turbotax to notice and fix. It is not clear how I can contact them directly

Steps to reproduce

1. Enter a K-1, and when it comes to check boxes that have an amount or are checked, check 11

2. Enter code I and amount

3.  In Enter Code I detail, check "Other Non-Passive Income (Loss) to ...". and enter description and amount

4. finish entering the K-1

5. I want to undo this non-passive entry, as I changed my mind, so go back to this K-1 and check entries, this time in Enter Code I detail, uncheck "Other Non-Passive Income (Loss) to ..."  and continue the rest of the K-1 entry

6. revisit this K-1: the uncheck does not stay. Tax is not changed. It has the non-passive income entry permanently

I used turbotax 2021 deluxe desktop version

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
dmertz
Level 15

TurboTax does not remember the checkmark, TurboTax remembers the code, description and dollar amount.  You must remove the entry in the reverse order that it was made by first removing the description, dollar amount and unmarking Other Non-Passive Income,  then removing the code-I and the dollar amount.  The checkmark for box 11 will disappear on its own.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
dmertz
Level 15

TurboTax does not remember the checkmark, TurboTax remembers the code, description and dollar amount.  You must remove the entry in the reverse order that it was made by first removing the description, dollar amount and unmarking Other Non-Passive Income,  then removing the code-I and the dollar amount.  The checkmark for box 11 will disappear on its own.

dmertz: you are right, if I do the removal in reverse order, then it removed that non-passive income item properly. Thanks for the quick reply.

Would you happen to know where the K-1 box I1 item, code I, namely "Other income (loss)" is getting used in TurboTax? I expected it to adjust the (passive) income by that quantity, like it does on my accountant's tax software, but TurboTax doesn't seem to do that. It does not seem to use this box 11 item amount anywhere if none of the Enter Code I Detail checkboxes are selected (as none are appropriate in my case)  

dmertz
Level 15

If none of the other detail checkboxes apply you would have to mark the box for I Have Another Description Item and enter the amount somewhere else in TurboTax (in addition to entering it on TurboTax's K-1 form) according to the instructions provided by the partnership or the IRS instructions for partners receiving a Schedule K-1 (Form 1065).  There is more than a page and a half of partner instructions for code I:  https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i1065sk1.pdf

dmetz: Are you working for TurboTax, btw? Anyway, thanks for that suggession. I have no specific instructions on my K-1 for that line 11 and I have also read the IRS doc for box 11 with no specific guidance for my case. I have seen another community thread on this topic (how-do-i-get-income-from-box-11-of-a-k-1-to-show-up-as-passive-income-on-schedule-e-instead-of-as ...) and it seems the respondents go with kludgy workarounds. I would have expected TurboTax to have a better way to populate this value to the passive income Schedule E line 28 column h. And the question remains: what does TurboTax do with the value put into box 11 if no other detail is provided.

dmertz
Level 15

"what does TurboTax do with the value put into box 11 if no other detail is provided."

Nothing.  For items that do not fall under the listed types, it's your responsibility to make the dollar entry  in the appropriate area of your tax return because TurboTax has no other way to know where it must be reported.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies