turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

brunbeard
Returning Member

Bought turbotax deluxe at costco "empty box" - just bar code, item #, and words "turbotax deluxe ty2020 fs empty box dni" - how do I get a licence number

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies

Bought turbotax deluxe at costco "empty box" - just bar code, item #, and words "turbotax deluxe ty2020 fs empty box dni" - how do I get a licence number

Did you ask Costco?  Was it supposed to be a CD or just for the download program?  I bought my CD at Costco and had to tear into it to get the CD part out.  After you paid for it did you go to the pickup counter/door to get the actual item?  

Your probably purchased TurboTax Live by mistake. This year TurboTax began offering TurboTax Live in a retail box. You basically prepay for the online version includes unlimited support by a tax professional. 

You will receive the redemption code, normally within the hour, via e-mail. Then you have to create an online account if your don't have one and do your taxes online. At the end, you enter your redemption code so you don't have to pay.

How do I request a refund for my TurboTax product

turbotax live.jpg

But whichever version you bought at the actual store you need to take your box and receipt back and go to the pickup window and get the real item.  Sounds to me like you walked out without exchanging the display box for the actual CD package  

brunbeard
Returning Member

Thanks for your reply.  I contacted COSTCO and they admitted that I should have been told to pick up a Turbotax software disc after checkout.  Instore purchases have just a mockup display which is to be exchanged for the software.  Online purchases are by download.  So I have the CD now.  Next step, do my taxes.  Thanks again!

brunbeard
Returning Member

The version was correct.  I needed to take my empty display item to another desk where I got the software CD.  So next step is to do my taxes.  (Purchases instore are by a physical CD.  Purchased online at COSTCO.COM involve a download.) Thanks for your reply, which helped me narrow things down.

Good luck.  We are here for you.  Be sure to keep and save the 16 digit License Code.  Sometimes you need to enter it again.  When you install the program do not have any things plugged into your computer like usb flash drives.  Or make sure you know what was on your computer when you installed Turbo Tax.    Each time you start the program your computer needs to be the same way as the first time, like if a flash drive was plugged in or a printer, etc.  or it will ask you to enter the license code again.    

brunbeard
Returning Member

Issue resolved satisfactorily.  COSTCO distributes Turbotax at its physical stores by CD, and at its website (costco.com) by download.  What I paid for at the store was just the display carton, which I was  supposed to exchange at another desk for the Turbotax Deluxe CD.  So I now have the CD and will load it to my desktop computer today.   Thanks.

Manage cookies