Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Attach Form 8949 as a PDF document?

Can I attach Form 8949 as a PDF document to my return in TurboTax to e-file it?

TaxAct can, link here: [removed]

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

15 Replies
TerukoL
Intuit Alumni

This is a public internet forum, so your private information has been removed for your protection. No, you are not able to attach forms to your TurboTax return to e-file. TurboTax will automatically generate Form 8949 when you report the sale or disposition of capital assets. 

To enter Form 1099-B in TurboTax Online:

• Open (continue) your return in TurboTax Online. (If your return isn't open, you'll need to sign in and click Take me to my return.)
  • Click the drop-down arrow next to Tax Tools (lower left of your screen).
  • Select Tools.
  • In the pop-up window, select Topic Search.
  • In the I'm looking for: box, type 1099-b.
  • In the results box, highlight 1099-b, then click GO.
  • You'll land on Did you sell any investments in 2016? Click Yes.
  • Follow the onscreen instructions. You'll be able to enter the 1099-B info yourself or import it if your brokerage participates in the TurboTax Partner program.

Please click the following links to learn more:

How do I find a stock's cost basis?

Where is Form 8949?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

@TerukoL 

Thanks for your response. I know that you can upload the 1099-B and it will generate the 8949 but that does not work when using a software like TradeLog (for active traders) that will consolidate all your trades and calculate the wash losses accurately and then generate the 8949, hence my question to be able to attach a 8949 instead of using the 1099-B in Turbotax.

Eric4Bklyn
Returning Member

I have a similar question. TurboTax will not generate an electronic 8949 for me for 2020, apparently because the number of lines of data that TurboTax can process has been reduced from prior years. I'd prefer to file the 8949 as a PDF and include it when I e-file. The IRS website says that the IRS will accept this. I understand that I can print and mail the 8949 to the IRS but I'd much rather submit it electronically.

There seem to be a number of people with this issue. Will TurboTax be updating its program so that we can either upload more data into the 8949 or attach a PDF of the 8949 to the electronic return?

KathrynG3
Expert Alumni

TurboTax can handle up to 1,500 transactions per brokerage account in TurboTax Online or 2,000 transactions in TurboTax CD/Download. Beyond that, the alternative available is to print Form 8453, which is like a "cover page" and mail in your details within three days of e-filing.

For more information, see: How many stock transactions can TurboTax Online handle?

@Mike8

@Eric4Bklyn

The point is we don't want to use snail mail.

We're in 2021, digital should be the way to go, especially when competitors like TaxAct do it...

So I'd recommend TurboTax to allow attaching Form 8949 as a PDF document to match the competition.

Agree! As a TradeLog user with thousands of trades to report the ability to upload rather than snail mail form 8949's is a needed feature in Tubotax. Turbotax should also allow entries larger than 9 digits on the Schedule D because "wash sale" tracking and reporting makes for some very large numbers to report that Turbotax will not accept.

TaylorMan90
Returning Member

This is a deal breaker for me. According to the IRS there is a provision for submitting a pdf file for this form, but TurboTax doesn't have support for this. My only option is to print out and snail mail 100's of pages or find a tax prep software that does have this functionality.  I've been using TurboTax for a while, but I'll have to look for something else because I have too many transactions to mail and also hate to waste the paper and resources for something that could and should be done electronically.

@TaylorMan90 

As an active investor, be aware that your category Box A or Box D sales without adjustments do not require Form 8949, so there is no reason to import or key in those transactions.
Instead use the "enter a summary" option to put your numbers on Schedule D Line 1a or Line 8a.
--
If you have wash sales, it gets more complicated since those adjusted transactions have to be itemized on Form 8949 and the summary totals adjusted accordingly.

---

It turns out that last season, TurboTax Online would take your 1099-B PDF as an attachment avoiding the need to mail it, but TurboTax CD/download would not.

I can't say what the feature will be in TurboTax 2021. Ask Customer Support.

TaylorMan90
Returning Member

For me it is more about crypto trading transactions.  I would be interested to know what products (Online or CD) would be able to import a pdf of the 8949.  I will likely have many 1000's of transactions.

MarilynG1
Expert Alumni

Unfortunately you can't attach a PDF copy of Form 8949 to your return if you Efile.

You can use TurboTax to prepare a Form 8949 with a summary of Short Term/Long Term transactions, then mail in your PDF summary (or other supporting documentation) after you Efile. 

Click this link for more info on How to Enter a Summary in Lieu of Individual Transactions and Mailing Form 8949 for Summary Totals

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

If you want to use TurboTax, but

TurboTax won't accept your CSV file, proceed as follows.

Adjust your csv files so the columns are in the same order as on Form 8949.

Put a header with your name tax year and SS Number

Use the summary option and then you can mail in the printout of the CSV files.
See the TurboTax instructions that will pop up.

You would use Category C and/or F since you don't have a 1099-B.

At tax time, you have the option to summarize your transactions by Sales Category.

IRS requires Box C/F details to be listed on your own Form 8949,
or on your other forms (e.g. spreadsheets) which have the same information and in the same manner as Form 8949.
Either way, if you choose to summarize, you have to mail the transaction details to the IRS within three business days of IRS accepting your e-Filed tax return.

tond5_

this is not very paper friendly. turbotax is in 90s. catch up. everyone is a trader and has much more than 20k or so transaction support TT allows. adapt or perish.

TaylorMan90
Returning Member

Agreed. I'm going to have to use a different preparation software because of this limitation with TT. It would take too much paper and postage to print and mail everything. Other tax software seems to allow sending this electronically.

According to other posts here,

TurboTax Online will ask you for a PDF of your transaction history.

TurboTax CD/download (2020) will not.

As an active investor, you should already be aware that your category Box A or Box D sales without adjustments do not require Form 8949, so there is no reason to import or key in those transactions.
Instead use the "enter a summary" option to put your numbers on Schedule D Line 1a or Line 8a.

No mailing is required, no attachment is needed.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies