turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

chrisl3903
Returning Member

Entering information into TT 2016 deluxe from a print out from cpa for that year. Trying to add form 8949 but the button doesn't do anything. How do I add this?

I'm trying to add form 8949 but it says 'Create new copy. Form(s) 8949 are created automatically, based on schedule D input'. Most of my fields have been overwritten so it's not generating this form. I try to click the Add Form but it doesn't do anything, no response. How do I add this form?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Entering information into TT 2016 deluxe from a print out from cpa for that year. Trying to add form 8949 but the button doesn't do anything. How do I add this?

Are you trying to reconstruct a 2016 return that was filed previously by your CPA?   You didn't say why you are trying to do all this, which can be tedious and painstaking.

It sounds like you are using Forms Mode to make data entries, which is not recommended. Normally, the Interview Mode (step by step) is the best way to make entries.  There is often a complex relationship between forms and worksheets in the Forms Mode, as this example illustrates.  And overriding entries can cause errors due to the ways that info sometimes flows between forms and worksheets.

In the ideal situation, at least when one is preparing a new return, Forms Mode should be reserved for problem solving, troubleshooting, verifying info flow correctly, minor corrections such as typos, etc..   It is not recommended to use it as the main source of data entry.

You cannot use the "Open Form" icon to open a Form 8949 that way until a Schedule D has been started.  As the message indicated when you tried, there must be a Schedule D first.

Go to the interview for the Schedule D for whatever type of capital gains/losses you have.  If you have transactions of stocks, mutual funds, bonds, etc., it will be the interview for the 1099-B.

Once you make an entry there in Interview Mode for an investment transaction,  that should create a Schedule D, then when you look in Forms Mode again, the Form 8949 may appear automatically in the left-column forms list.

View solution in original post

4 Replies

Are you trying to reconstruct a 2016 return that was filed previously by your CPA?   You didn't say why you are trying to do all this, which can be tedious and painstaking.

It sounds like you are using Forms Mode to make data entries, which is not recommended. Normally, the Interview Mode (step by step) is the best way to make entries.  There is often a complex relationship between forms and worksheets in the Forms Mode, as this example illustrates.  And overriding entries can cause errors due to the ways that info sometimes flows between forms and worksheets.

In the ideal situation, at least when one is preparing a new return, Forms Mode should be reserved for problem solving, troubleshooting, verifying info flow correctly, minor corrections such as typos, etc..   It is not recommended to use it as the main source of data entry.

You cannot use the "Open Form" icon to open a Form 8949 that way until a Schedule D has been started.  As the message indicated when you tried, there must be a Schedule D first.

Go to the interview for the Schedule D for whatever type of capital gains/losses you have.  If you have transactions of stocks, mutual funds, bonds, etc., it will be the interview for the 1099-B.

Once you make an entry there in Interview Mode for an investment transaction,  that should create a Schedule D, then when you look in Forms Mode again, the Form 8949 may appear automatically in the left-column forms list.

I did enter data on schedule D and still will not let me create form 8949. I had no problem and can create form 8949 w/o issue and independent from schedule D.  You have program change this year and it does not work properly

You must enter the info on the 8949 which is carried to the sch D ... so delete the sch D and start again. 

As an active investor, be aware that your category Box A or Box D sales without adjustments do not require Form 8949, so there is no reason to import or key in those transactions.
Instead use the "enter a summary" option to put your numbers on Schedule D Line 1a or Line 8a.

Sometimes,

TurboTax takes note of this rule, and if the conditions are met, Form 8949 will not be attached to your return even when you do not use the summary option..

It is not good behavior.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies