turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

zeny_27

Are the proof of health insurance required this time around? I seen it said the law changed yet the following questions still asked

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
ToddL99
Expert Alumni

Are the proof of health insurance required this time around? I seen it said the law changed yet the following questions still asked

Yes, you are still required to answer the questions about health insurance as part of preparing your tax return. There is no longer a penalty for not have minimum essential coverage,  but there are other tax-related reasons for the information on your health coverage.

"Individuals who have health insurance should receive one of three tax forms for the 2020 tax year: the Form 1095-A, Form 1095-C or Form 1095-B. The forms are sent to individuals who are insured through marketplaces, employers or the government. You do not need to wait for the forms to file your taxes, and they do not have to be attached to your tax return.

However, the forms are important. They provide information required for your tax return such as the total amount of premiums paid and the time frame you were covered. You can use this information if you plan to deduct health care expenses, and you'll also want to keep the documents for your records.

During the first years of the Affordable Care Act (ACA), 1095 forms were more important as they would allow the IRS to verify health insurance coverage. If the IRS identified gaps in health coverage, then you would be required to pay the tax penalty for not having minimum essential coverage.

In 2020, the tax penalty for lacking coverage is no longer in effect. But, as mentioned above, the forms are still useful for filing tax returns and claiming tax deductions."

For additional information, see:  How Do I Prove I Have Health Insurance For My Taxes?

I have already e filed and do not remember being asked about any forms for health coverage and I don't have any credits or tax deductions to help my filing to enter for that field. Will my return be rejected if I was not asked, or for some reason was able to file without answering that section? I have a copy of my taxes currently, and it is not in any of the forms that were filed.

Even though Federal no longer requires that you have health insurance, some states still do.

Thanks for the reply. I did not see any penalty entered on the state forms I downloaded, nor any question pertaining to it for my state of Missouri. Hopefully, I did it correctly. 😁

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies