turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Anyone know how to enter EITC using 2019 AGI to apply the 'look back provision' via TurboTax?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

8 Replies
AmyC
Expert Alumni

Anyone know how to enter EITC using 2019 AGI to apply the 'look back provision' via TurboTax?

You use the higher of 2019 or 2020 income. If your 2019 income was higher, then you can look back.  @CRitter3 gives an excellent example here.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Hi. The issue is I'm not getting the option to use my AGI from 2019. How can I activate that option on TurboTax?

AlanT222
Expert Alumni

Some TurboTax customers were experiencing an issue when trying to claim the Earned Income Tax Credit using their 2019 earned income. Customers who are impacted have less than $2503 in earned income on their 2020 tax return.

We are happy to inform you a recent TurboTax update has been released resolving this issue. If you are using TurboTax Online, updates are applied automatically.  If you are using TurboTax Desktop, make sure you download and install the latest update.  If you need assistance with updating, please refer to the following support article.

How to Update TurboTax
https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1901183

Thank you Alan, 

I'm using TurboTax online, but still not getting the option to use my 2019 AGI for 2020 EITC. The 'Deductions and Credits" page doesn't allow me to do anything different than 3 weeks ago. 

Can you give me some guidance or point me to an instructions page?

Thank you.

Best, Oriah

LindseyLO
Intuit Alumni

We understand you are having an experience with entering your AGI. Please follow the instructions in this link: (AGI Help Article). If this does not resolve your issue, what is the exact message you are getting?

Hi Lindsey,

I know my 2019 AGI, I'm assuming that I'm supposed to get a prompt or the option to enter that AGI for 2020 on Turbo Tax. 

When I'm on the 'Deductions and Credits' page, what I get now is a page that calculates an estimate EITC. Under "How much did your household make in 2020?" I'm given a dropdown with options for a range of earned income. Do I just use my 2019 AGI here, in place of 2020?

DawnC
Employee Tax Expert

No, you do not enter your 2019 AGI to use the lookback provision; there will be a place to enter your 2019 earned income amount.   The special lookback rule will allow lower-income individuals to use their earned income from 2019 (assuming it was higher in 2019 than 2020) to determine their Earned Income Tax Credit and the refundable portion of the Child Tax Credit in 2020 since their lower 2020 income could reduce the amount they are eligible for.   The amount you qualify for will still be dependent on your 2020 AGI, but using the earned income amount from 2019 may provide a larger credit(s).  If it does, use it, if not, use your 2020 earned income amount.   TurboTax will allow you to compare the results and choose the higher credit amount.  It is optional as using your 2019 earned income won't be beneficial for all taxpayers.   

Please read this TurboTax blog for more information.

To use the lookback feature in TurboTax Online, go to the Earned Income Tax Credit section.

1. In the Search box on the top right of your screen, enter EIC or eic and hit enter; click on Jump to eic
  2. Follow the interview until you arrive at a page titled Do you want to use last year's earned income?  make a note of the amount of your credit using the 2020 earned income...
  3. Click on Yes and enter your 2019 earned income and click Continue

TurboTax will show your new Earned Income tax credit using your 2019 earned income.   If the new credit is higher, click Continue to accept it.  If the new credit is lower, click Back to go back to the previous screen and click the radio button No then click Continue.

Generally, earned income includes wages (including non-taxable combat pay), tips, and other payments received for services you personally performed.

This usually includes the total of the amounts reported on:

- Form 1040, line 1 (Wages, salaries, and tips)

- Schedule C, line 3 of Schedule 1 (net business income)

- Schedule F, line 6 of Schedule 1 (net farm income)

Thank you - this worked!

I will add - when you enter EIC or eic in the search box it will take you to a page that estimates your EITC. You have to enter 'skip' to get to the relevant page. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies