turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

DaveJobs

Anyone else having problem e-filing with IRS Form 2210 under tax reform

Someone in another post had a great solution.  NOTE - This only applies if you do not have an underpayment penalty, and is for the ONLINE version only (this is what I use).

Very simple (and don't know why TT support hasn't provided this solution.  Revisit the section (other tax payments - underpayment) and set the Tax Paid in 2017 as 0.

Voila - the 2210 forms and any associated forms disappear!!!

Instead of spending hours trying to delete the forms (which doesn't work at least online), this seemed to have solved it.  This only is good if you don't have an underpayment penalty.

cp73

You can override and remove the x in box A, however after you close it doesn't change or disappear. You also can't delete that form. It appears to work at first but you will see you can't delete it. 

Overall, this mess with IRS Form 2210 Part II Box A is turning out to be a very big and totally unanticipated mess.   People seem to be having different result with the same fix attempts, and some have submitted by totally deleting Form 2210 which I don't think would be good idea because if you qualify under 85% waiver you have to request that on Form 2210 Part II Box A otherwise you could get audited and have to deal with a bigger mess down the road.

I'm going to wait until 2/22/19 which is only two days away and see if any tax software companies fixes this issue.

1) If they don't, how do you prove to IRS and to State you paper filed?  I can imagine paying for tracking, and hand signature upon receipt, and taking a picture of the envelope after post office stamps it, and of course making copies of all the forms which will cost me extra money and more work.   Anything else I'm not thinking of to prove you paper filed?

2) Can excessive e-file rejections trigger an audit or any other problem with your tax return?  I would have to use up all 5 free e-files, in case it gets accepted on 5th e-file attempt, before, I resort to paper filing. 

GaryJ

Did you make your 4th quarter estimate in Jan. 2019?

Yes. I also made them at quarterly intervals per IRS instructions.  Assuming you are using the download version and working in Forms mode, you should see your estimated payments in a box on P2 of your 2210.

Absolutely -- I had the same issue, and the refund policy (refusing any refunds for TurboTax Premier Online) is unreasonable in these circumstances.  I looked up the refund policy, and they justify it by saying that you can use TT Online up to the point of filing your return, but if you do that you are indicating your satisfaction with the product.  Well, I did that after it told me that my return was perfect, and then the IRS rejected it because of a lack of an explanation for the claim of the 85% waiver.  As far as I can see, there is no way to fix this in TT Online Premier.  The only fix is to download the desktop version (for another $100) and then go into the Forms view (which does not exist in the online version) and use the "Explain" button on Form 2210 to enter the explanation.  I did that, and both my Federal and state returns were accepted.  However, I have now paid twice for TurboTax this year  -- once for the unusable Online version which did not handle this situation (a situation that I did not know about until the IRS rejected my attempted e-filing), and another time for the desktop version which did resolve the problem.

It seems beyond dispute that in this fact situation, Intuit owes its users a refund of the fee for the use of TurboTax Premier Online, since it proved to be unusable, and that could not be known until after the e-filing was attempted and rejected.

10-1kids

Add me to list of people having this issue.

10-1kids

Go to View and click on Forms

Pull up Form 2210

On top menu go to Edit, click on override and then unclick checkmark on Part II Line A

Did not work for me.

@10-1kids wrote:

Go to View and click on Forms

Pull up Form 2210

On top menu go to Edit, click on override and then unclick checkmark on Part II Line A

Did not work for me.

My solution (which DID work and got my returns accepted once I had the desktop version of TT Premier and could use the Forms View) was to pull up Form 2210, leave the "A" box checked, and then press the "Explain" button at the right side of the form.  This brought up a new form on which to place the explanation.  It appears that any text explanation will allow the form to be uploaded.

By the way, I got this solution by locating another post on one of these TT forums from someone who had done it successfully.

pbesong
Returning Member

If we know we're not going to owe tax, can we just check to let the IRS figure it out for us? or will they penalize us for not using form 2210? I'm using the online version. 

kitadams

I have the form 2210 open, and have no option to edit.  Where on the top are you doing this?  Working on a Mac.

Thanks

Yes, I am working on a Mac. I am using TTDeluxe. I will try to talk you through it.

Make sure you are in Forms Mode (Icon at upper left of screen)

Open 2210. If block A is checked, go to line 17. (This is counter intuitive as the instructions say File Only Page 1 if you don't owe a penalty and line 17 is on page 2). Once you are at Line 17, you should see text that says, "QuickZoom to Waiver Explanation Statement". Click the button and a window will open for you to write your explanation. Note that text does not wrap. You must Enter to go to a new line otherwise TT will reduce your explanation to very small font and put all of it on one line. 

When you have completed your explanation, move on to another form. If you have been successful, on the list of forms used in your return you will see 2210 and underneath it offset to the right you will see Statement of Waiver in abbreviated form.

Incidentally, if you have made Estimated Payments quarterly as I did, the total amount will show on line 12 of 2210.

Good Luck!

MJB
Level 2

as of this morning I was told that "the glitch" is in the turbo tax  program and they are working on it.  I was told to print out my tax return forms  and mail it in with a personally created expiation statement because the Turbo tax fix has not been found for the "2210 form glitch" .  

MikeL

I 'm not so sure about doing that.  The goal isn't just to have your return accepted.  The solution should be one that also succeeds in waiving the penalty.  If you follow this suggestion and succeed in deleting form 2210, your return may be accepted but you may also see that this caused a penalty to be calculated and appear on line 23 of your 1040.  If you had a refund in your previous rejected attempt, you may notice that the refund is now smaller by the amount of the penalty.  Though your return may now be accepted, you may also have paid a penalty that form 2210 waiver was meant to waive.  I don't know if TT's error was to file form 2210 when it should not have been filed and that you actually deserve a penalty, or if it is supposed to be waived and they messed up form 2210, thus saddling you with an undeserved penalty.

green_growler
Returning Member

No, I made my 4th quarter payment in December 2018.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies