turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Amended return says completed and sent but I still haven’t received

I Amended my 2020 return on April 20, and on July 30 using the IRS tool it said that it was adjusted, then on August 20 it said that a letter should’ve been sent to me and then it resulted in a refund and was completed. Now it’s September 9 and I still haven’t received a refund and whenever I called the IRS they said my account was still open and that it hasn’t even been adjusted yet. The reason that I amended my return was because when we got the unemployment tax break it qualified me for the earned income credit and the additional child tax credit which was going to be an extra $2643. I received $658 direct deposit which I’m guessing is for the taxes I over paid. They said they don’t send out amended returns direct deposit so that shouldn’t have been the amended return. So have y’all ever ran into this problem with the IRS saying that they amended a return and that it was completed but when you call it shows that nothing has been done at all and that there isnt anybody I can talk to about why it says that?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
SoCalGal21
Employee Tax Expert

Hi Mogtosh!

The IRS is stretched quite thin as are many businesses this year.  Sounds like you have access to your IRS account, so you can get a copy of the letter there, Under Records, Select View Notices and Letters.  Check on any recent notices and letters sent to you. Be sure to double check your address on the letter. I you've moved since you filed, look at these links to see if you can notify the IRS online or if you need to mail in a Form 8822 Change of Address.  The US Post Office Change of Address won't work for this.

https://www.mymove.com/moving/guides/irs-update-address/ 

https://www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc157

If you feel you aren't making progress with the IRS, your best option is requesting the Taxpayer Advocate Service assist you.  It's pay for by tax payer dollars and they have the ability to make the IRS review cases that are closed. Taxpayers Advocate Service:
You need to fill out irs.gov Form 911. Instructions are on the form.
Faxing the form will have it processed sooner than mailing it.
You can mail it certified as well but the response will be slower.
It will take time for the Advocate's office to contact you.
877-777-4778

Let me know if this answers  your question.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

Also my case isn’t closed it’s still open which is what is so confusing because it says that it was completed on August 20

View solution in original post

5 Replies
SoCalGal21
Employee Tax Expert

Hi Mogtosh!

The IRS is stretched quite thin as are many businesses this year.  Sounds like you have access to your IRS account, so you can get a copy of the letter there, Under Records, Select View Notices and Letters.  Check on any recent notices and letters sent to you. Be sure to double check your address on the letter. I you've moved since you filed, look at these links to see if you can notify the IRS online or if you need to mail in a Form 8822 Change of Address.  The US Post Office Change of Address won't work for this.

https://www.mymove.com/moving/guides/irs-update-address/ 

https://www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc157

If you feel you aren't making progress with the IRS, your best option is requesting the Taxpayer Advocate Service assist you.  It's pay for by tax payer dollars and they have the ability to make the IRS review cases that are closed. Taxpayers Advocate Service:
You need to fill out irs.gov Form 911. Instructions are on the form.
Faxing the form will have it processed sooner than mailing it.
You can mail it certified as well but the response will be slower.
It will take time for the Advocate's office to contact you.
877-777-4778

Let me know if this answers  your question.

So I have done that look on my records every day there hasn’t been anything that has been sent to me at all I’ve tried to call the taxpayer assistance line and they said that they didn’t see an issue but it’s weird when I use the tool where is my amended tax return it says that it was adjusted and completed but when I go to look at it letter sent to me is there’s nothing there

Also my case isn’t closed it’s still open which is what is so confusing because it says that it was completed on August 20

Milllaw

I filed a amended return for 2020 and have yet to receive it also I received a W-2 form for 2020  I need to know what to do

ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

You should wait until your amended return for 2020 is processed before you attempt to amend it again. It is taking the IRS much longer that usual to process amended returns so it is not unusual that your return is taking a long time to be processed.

@Milllaw

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies