turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

amended return for a dependent

Hi,

In May of 2021 my 21 year old daughter filed a tax return as an independent. But I pay for all her college expenses so about 2 weeks ago she filed an amended return to change her status to be a dependent. This amendment was accepted by IRS. 

Now when I tried to file and use her as a dependent my tax return is rejected with the following reason: 

The IRS has found the following problems with your return:

• A Dependent SSN in the return must not be the same as the Primary or Spouse SSN on another return where 'PrimaryClaimAsDependentInd' or 'SpouseClaimAsDependentInd' is not checked.
  • A Dependent SSN in the return must not be the same as the Primary or Spouse SSN on another return where 'PrimaryClaimAsDependentInd' or 'SpouseClaimAsDependentInd' is not checked.

How do I explain to IRS that there is an amended return with it changed?

Thanks,

Sandhya

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

You have to print your return and mail it in. The IRS will not have a problem when you mail your return, but the database that validates e-filed returns is simply not updated often enough for the amended return to allow you to e-file.  

Thank you for the quick response. In order to mail in the printed return, I have the following questions:

1. What all pages to send?

2. Do I write an explanation of why I am mailing it?

3. I have to mail in State as well, correct?

Thanks,

Sandhya

rjs
Level 15
Level 15

1. When you print your tax returns select "Just my tax returns" (in TurboTax Online) or "All official forms required for filing" (in the CD/Download TurboTax software). It will print only the forms you need to send, with a page of instructions at the beginning.

2. No.

3. Yes.

Yes if you mail federal you have to also mail state.

How to mail a return from the Online version
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/printing/help/how-do-i-print-and-mail-my-return-in-turbotax-online...

Be sure to attach copies of your W2s and any 1099s that have withholding on them. You have to mail federal and state in separate envelopes because they go to different places. Get a tracking number from the post office when you mail them for proof of filing.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies