turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Amend State Tax Only

I try to file amend to CA state tax return only. but when turbotax run the analysis on the review tab, it asks me to input "Explanation of Changes", I believe it is for federal tax which I don't need to amend. I put something like "Amend CA state tax return only", but later, turbotax say “We don't detect any differences between your original 2020 return and your amended return. If you're sure you need to amend, explain why below."

I'm a little bit confusing here. 

1. Is this message for federal tax amend? because obviously turbotax already found a new CA refund for me why it still say no any difference found.

2. Since I only need to file amend for state tax return, the output pdf files, include

A. 2020 federal tax return which include form 1040X,

B. 2020 CA tax return which include Schedule X and includes 2020 federal tax return which include form 1040X. 

Do I only need to mail the files from collection B and ignore the files from collection A? And even for files from collection B includes a 1040X for federal tax return, is that right? since I have no change for federal return.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

Amend State Tax Only

You should mail all California forms, Federal 1040X, even if there is no changes, and copies of all forms showing CA withholdings, W-2(s) or 1099(s). You don't need to add the original return there. Don't forget to sign and date the amended return. 

Amend State Tax Only

so i can ignore the files from collection "A. 2020 federal tax return which include form 1040X," and only files from "B. 2020 CA tax return which include Schedule X and includes 2020 federal tax return which include form 1040X." need to send out to CA 

Amend State Tax Only

another question, since I calculated the CA AGI wrong, should I choose "g. Error on original return" as my reason for amending?

Amend State Tax Only

the instruction says what i need to mail:

Your amended tax return - Amended Form 540 or Amended Form 540NR
Need to | with Schedule X. Remember to sign and date the return.

| Attach the following to your California tax return:
| - a copy of your federal return
| - all revised forms, schedules, and documents supporting each change,
| such as corrected forms(s) W-2 or 1099, schedule(s) K-1, escrow statements and the Schedule X.

so i can ignore the forms like Schedule CA (540NR), Schedule D (540) etc? If I'm not clear whether I should include them or not, just include them as well, will be fine?
| escrow statements and the Schedule X.

Amend State Tax Only

It is easier to just include those document than to have to provide one someday when an agent decides that it is needed.  It is fine to include them with the amended return.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies