turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Jidle05

Amend Return

I am trying to amend my 2019 taxes.  I received a refund of 2622 and need to amend the schedule C.  When I hit continue after I select the file to start turbo tax then shows I owe 1431 before I even made any changes.  Is that is what is supposed to happen?  Shouldn't it show the original refund amt?  

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

Amend Return

Amend Return

Ignore the refund meter as it will only confuse you ... once you start the amendment process switch to the FORMS mode and check the 1040X ... is the amounts in column A the same as the original return ?   Are there any changes in column B ?

Jidle05

Amend Return

The numbers changed from the original amounts that were filed with the IRS in column A.  

Trying to figure out how to change that with out having to replicate the tax file.  

My accountant took the standard deduction for my home office and want to itemize my home expenses as I get a better deduction.  

So when I go to amend I have the amounts of my home expenses in the system already, so column A is starting with my home office expenses and the last column are the numbers that were originally filed.

Amend Return

Nice thought but you cannot amend in that way ... column A must be as filed and until you get that in the program correctly you cannot even start the amendment process.  

If you had a CPA do the return then I highly recommend you go back to them and have them do the amendment.  It is possible that the optional standard rate method on the OIH deduction was better than the form 8829 method.  

Also are you really talking about the OIH deduction   or  are you referring to the Sch A itemized deductions ?   You can take the optional method on the Sch C   AND  take the standard deduction OR the Itemized deduction on a Sch A.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies