turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Rob15

Accidentally put in wrong address when filing

Realized I input the wrong address when filing, mixing up the numbers. Refund is direct and not by check, but would like to update/undo filing if possible
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

9 Replies
JessicaG

Once you have transmitted your returns and they have been accepted, there is no way to "undo" that.  You will need to contact the IRS at 1-800-829-1040 to update your address.

If your returns are rejected, you can update your information and make any necessary changes without having to contact the IRS.

It was rejected but i can't figure out how to go back to change it. Can you help me?

DavidS127
Expert Alumni

More information about your rejected e-file would help diagnose your problem.  For example, what was the rejection code or message?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I put in wrong address and ex might forward my signature 

sk5ik
Returning Member

• I put in the wrong address on turbotax, my return was accepted though... Yet the wrong address don't exist I want to know if I should just wait ?
ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

You should notify the IRS of your correct address, either by phone, by filing form 8822 or by sending them a letter. You can use this link to learn more:

https://www.irs.gov/faqs/irs-procedures/address-changes/address-changes

If you have a refund and it is to be direct deposited into your account, your address will not affect that. Otherwise, you may want to put in a change of address with the postal system so a check sent to the wrong address from the IRS may be forwarded to you.

I also have the same problem,  my check was mailed off may 21...I filed my taxes with the old address and then found a place a month later and have a change of address..they forwarded my payment issue notice but I'm worried, will the post office forward my check to the new address?

How did you resolve this issues because I filed for my tax refund and put in the wrong address that doesn’t exist it and I am trying to figure out how to speak to a federal rep so they can cancel it and send a new one 

HeatherPLO
Intuit Alumni

You will need to notify the IRS of your correct address, either by phone, by filing form 8822, or by sending them a letter. You can use this link to learn more:

https://www.irs.gov/faqs/irs-procedures/address-changes/address-changes

If you have a refund and it is to be direct deposited into your account, your address will not affect that. Otherwise, you may want to put in a change of address with the postal system so a check sent to the wrong address from the IRS may be forwarded to you.

@Danielsmith200000

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies