Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

CatinaT1
Employee Tax Expert

Accidentally filed Non-Filer, how to fix

This FAQ site may also answer your questions.

https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus/economic-impact-payment-information-center

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Hey! They same exact thing happened to me. I filled the Non-filers thinking I needed to it in order to get the stimulus check, and now I can't file my taxes. Anyways, what did you choose to do? Did you just mail the 1040? How did you make the notation for 1040X? Where did you get the IRS address? Did you consult with someone else about this? I would appreciate your response! Thanks in advance. 

Sam1101

Hi, I have accidentally filed the non-fillers form and now I have filled a new 1040 filer form from turbo tax. Also, I am attaching a 1040X form for amendment. But, I am confused about how to file a 1040X form. I have already filled out the basic details and part III that is the explanation, how to complete the rest of the details.

On another hand, does writing a cover letter instead of a 1040X form is acceptable by IRS and a good option. 

Thanks

Hello, welcome to the non flier mistake maker page lol. You'll find many other pages like this one, many of them much longer.

This is a mistake many folks have made so dont feel bad.

I'm actually taking a different approach; I'm gonna wait and see if some sort of remedy may be made available to us since there are so many people piling up with this same mistake.

Besides, last time I looked the irs isnt processing paper anyway. 

Would be unfortunate to mail in your returns and then the irs actually does issue guidance allowing us to efile once again.

But listen to the experts here. I'm just offering up a welcome and layman's insight.

Troyer
Returning Member

As of right now, I have not found a for sure answer. Ive been told that if you filed the nonfiler form then you wouldn't be able to file taxes normally for 2019. That I have to print out and mail in an amended tax return. However the IRS website says it's still not processing paper returns at this time so I haven't done anything with that.

I still have not received the stimulus check either, so I do think I have slowed down the process even tho my nonfilers form wasn't accepted. I left it alone after finding out that I didn't need to file it being on SSI. 

Geneylo

What if i filed my taxes in march and then turned around and file a non filer in April cause i wanted to change my bank info? So now my taxes are still process and the non filer was rejected. What do i do?

SusanY1
Expert Alumni

Since the nonfiler form was rejected, it was never processed or received.  This means that your bank information wasn't updated, but your tax return also wasn't changed or interrupted. 

You may still be able to change your bank information for your economic impact payment if your payment has not been processed or has been returned.  You can check here for the status of your payment and potential options to update payment information: IRS Get my Payment Tool.

@Geneylo

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Just an add-on fyi to Susan's response, the irs FAQ on this issue was updated today. From their website faq:

20200515_161724.jpg

Hi, this was my previous question :I filled non filer form thinking that it was for people who didn't filed tax in 2018 as I was in need of stimulus due to job loss. I found that my husband filed jointly in 2018 and I was dependent. Also, came to know that he already filed our tax for this year in March which I thought he will file in the month of May, my bad. Now IRS accepted my non filer form. I need to let them know we already filed for 2019 and need to cancel this?

After I posted this, many told me that my non filer form must be deleted by IRS. But today, I found out that they are depositing my stimulus amount on 20th May using my non filer form. Please let me if there will be any problem in my 2019 tax return which is already in processed..

@Priya1409 I have similar situation as you do. But my mailed tax return hasn't been processed yet (at least haven't heard back from it). I got the stimulus check deposited two weeks ago, too. I think for now the best choice is just wait for IRS's feedback. I'll wait for their decision on my real tax return and then take actions as needed, as suggested by multiple CPAs.

My only choice is to wait and see.

Accountants have told me the same thing.

I'm no expert but I wholeheartedly agree. Mailing paper right now is pointless and they may offer up some solution shortly.

Priya, you dont mention how your husband files, be it efile or paper. If hes already efiled  or had his paper return processed then you're both golden for now. It may become an issue later on if ur husband claimed you as a dependent for 2019 and you successfully filed for and are receiving a stimulus check, but it will probably be ages from now after things have returned to normal, if ever.

Or, they may never catch it. It's a simple mistake LOTS OF PEOPLE HAVE MADE without malice or ill intent. It wont be viewed as "trying to get over" or anything like that.

My suggestion is ENJOY THAT $1,200 GAAAAAL! lol

But I'm no expert. Listen to these other folks who are(and then enjoy that cash, hahahaha)

• Hi, it is e filed.. For 2019, it is filed as married filing jointly in the month of Marche 2019.. But for last year for 2018 tax return, I was not working so he filed me as dependent under him.. 

That's why it's not fair how the IRS is handling this.

People's income and situation can vary greatly between the two years.

Depending on which year's taxes they use is how they'll decide if you're eligible.

I'm guessing, but if it was me, if I didn't receive it this year, I would file for it in next year's taxes (2020).

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies