Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

joelrlevy
Returning Member

8915-F on TurboTax 2023 (desktop)

I'm trying to get a jump on 2023 taxes so I can make end-of-year moves (desktop version).

In 2020 I took advantage of the COVID-related early distribution exception from my old company's 401(k).  I was fully qualified to do so and paid taxes on 1/3 of the distribution in each of 2020, 2021, and 2022, so I should be done.  TurboTax 2023 carried it over again and is showing another 1/3 (a fourth one) of the distribution for 2023.

Is this because I am impatient and the form/program is not finished yet?

Thanks in advance

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies

someone else just complained about this.

you can wait for more updates, or

contact TurboTax Support.

@joelrlevy 

Or go to Forms mode and delete the Form 8915-F and the Form 1099-R that was transferred from the 2022 return.

Click on Forms.  When in Forms mode the 8915-F and the 1099-R should be located in the forms/schedules/worksheets list on the left side of the screen.   Click on the form to open and then scroll down and click on the Delete button

Did you ever resolve this issue? Turbotax Support is not helpful at this point

@defray wrote:

Did you ever resolve this issue? Turbotax Support is not helpful at this point

The Form 8915-F Worksheet and the Form 8915-F along with the Form 1099-R were transferred from the 2022 tax return and need to be deleted.  There may also be a "Qualified Disaster Retirement Plan Distributions" listed that has to be deleted.

If you are using the TurboTax desktop CD/Download editions installed on your personal computer, click on Forms.

When in Forms mode locate these forms on the left side of the screen.  Click on the form to open each one and at the bottom of the screen click on Delete Form

If using the TurboTax online editions -

Click on Tax Tools on the left side of the online program screen

Click on Tools

Click on Delete a form

cjob
Level 5

Tried deleting the 8915-f that carried over from 2022.  It won't delete...  Any other ideas from anyone?  

anyone get an update from turbotax on this.  the official form was released by the irs in late 2023 for 2023 returns   there is no reason that this is not updated in turbotax yet except for their own issue.  cant file even though i have nothing left to pay as it was all done last year.  cant delete form etc  another year turbotax is a bigger headache than its worth.  

@txmet You do not need the Form 8915-F if you have paid back the 2020 distribution in tax years 2020, 2021 and 2022.

You need to delete the forms that carried over from the 2022 tax return.

The Form 8915-F Worksheet and the Form 8915-F along with the Form 1099-R were transferred from the 2022 tax return and need to be deleted.  There may also be a "Qualified Disaster Retirement Plan Distributions" and/or a "2020 Disaster Distribution" form listed that has to be deleted.

If you are using the TurboTax desktop CD/Download editions installed on your personal computer, click on Forms.

When in Forms mode locate these forms on the left side of the screen.  Click on the form to open each one and at the bottom of the screen click on Delete Form

If you are using the TurboTax online editions -

Click on Tax Tools on the left side of the online program screen

Click on Tools

Click on Delete a form

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies