turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

$60 E-file federal fee??

After filing and having fees deducted from my return, I noticed that my Federal filing fee was $60!  I filed 1 Federal & 1 State return.  I purchased a download version of Turbo Tax.  Did fees jump from $20 last year to $60 this year??

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
HeatherPLO
Intuit Alumni

$60 E-file federal fee??

You may be filing using the Deluxe edition.  If you wish to downgrade, please follow the FAQ instructions here.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

$60 E-file federal fee??

It is $20 to efile a state return from the Desktop program.  Then another $40 to have the fee deducted from your refund.  Or pay with a credit card to avoid the extra charge.  Go back through the File tab and watch for this screen.

RTF Desktop.jpg

$60 E-file federal fee??

@medina1 wrote:

After filing and having fees deducted from my return, I noticed that my Federal filing fee was $60!  I filed 1 Federal & 1 State return.  I purchased a download version of Turbo Tax.  Did fees jump from $20 last year to $60 this year??

The most likely scenario is that you had a $20 state efile fee, and that you chose the option to pay that fee out of your Federal refund.    That "pay out of refund" method has an additional $40 service fee, which would result in a total fee of $60 plus possible sales tax.    The $40 service fee could be avoided prior to filing by removing that payment option and then paying the $20 fee upfront with credit/debit card or a prepaid debit card you can buy in a store.    If you have already filed, however, it's too late to remove it.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies