Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

2022 new primary home construction

Built a new home in 2022 with a construction loan. Jan 2023 construction loan converted to a standard mortgage loan. This is my primary residence that I now live in. I live in wa. state. What cost can i claim on my 2022 taxes?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
AR_CPA2
Employee Tax & Finance Expert

Hello jones135,

Congratulations for owning a new home!

Building a new home can require a long list of expenses, including your down payment, permits, insurance, and construction costs.  Unfortunately, most of these expenses that pertain to building a new home are not deductible on your taxes.  

These expenses are your Cost Basis for the home, so when you sell it, you will subtract the cost basis to determine your profit or loss. 

So now that it is your personal residence starting January 2023, you may be able to deduct your mortgage interest, property taxes, if you paid any points on the mortgage loan, Home Equity Loan interest, Mortgage Insurance, etc., on your 2023 taxes.

Please let us know if you have any additional questions. 

Congratulations again!

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Tanisha EA
Employee Tax Expert

When itemizing, you can deduct your state income taxes paid (add up boxes 17 and 19 of your w2's, estimated tax payments made in 2022), or a standard sales tax rateplus any state and local tax for major purchases such as motor vehicles, aircraft, boats, homes and materials to build a home.  The greater of the two will go on line 5a.  There is a limitation on the taxes you paid section of $10K (Schedule A, line 7).  This is advice for 2022 tax return per above.

TurboTax Live Full Service Tax Expert

mbpeddie
Employee Tax Expert

Hello!

Congratulations on the construction of your new home!

You can deduct the interest on your construction loan if the loan was secured by the property you moved into which is your case!

You can treat a home under construction as a qualified home for a period of 24 months , but only if it becomes your primary home a the time it is ready for occupancye. The 24 month period can start any time on or after the date that construction begins.

Mary, tax expert

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies