Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

2020 efile rejected due to /Return/ReturnHeader/FilingSecurityInformation/TotalPreparationSubmissionTs - Data in the return is missing or invalid

I am trying to efile my 2020 amended federal tax return and it was rejected with the following error:

/Return/ReturnHeader/FilingSecurityInformation/TotalPreparationSubmissionTs - Data in the return is missing or invalid. Please double check your entries.

It looks similar to this other post but that was a amended state return.

I also cannot seem to amend my 2020 return online anymore. It directs me to the desktop version now.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
MichelleLO
Intuit Alumni

2020 efile rejected due to /Return/ReturnHeader/FilingSecurityInformation/TotalPreparationSubmissionTs - Data in the return is missing or invalid

You are no longer able to e-file an amended 2020 tax return, you will need to mail it in.  The below TurboTax Help Article provides the steps to follow to amend a prior year's tax return.

How do I amend my federal tax return for a prior year?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

22 Replies
MichelleLO
Intuit Alumni

You are no longer able to e-file an amended 2020 tax return, you will need to mail it in.  The below TurboTax Help Article provides the steps to follow to amend a prior year's tax return.

How do I amend my federal tax return for a prior year?

Ok good to know. I also need to efile my amended 2021 federal tax return. Can that still be efiled?

HeatherPLO
Intuit Alumni

Yes, you can e-file your prior year Amended return.  For more details, please see our Help Article.  

A follow-up question. I mailed my '20 return but I'm still getting "CRITICAL REMINDER: Your tax return needs to be corrected and re-filed" e-mails regarding the rejected efile. When I click through the link it doesn't seem to have an option for me to tell it that I've mailed it in. How should I handle these reminders?

MichelleLO
Intuit Alumni

It might be a type of marketing email. You can visit the Intuit Marketing Preferences website (linked below) and choose which type of marketing information you would like to receive.

Marketing Preferences

if that doesn't work, please reach out to TurboTax Customer Support to have them take a look and see if they can update that you filed by mail. 

What is the TurboTax phone number?

SKJDC
Returning Member

I had the same issue happen yesterday with my 2020 amended returns. After many chat/call sessions, still remains unresolved. Any resolution on the online version being accessible again and ability to e file? Thanks.

CarissaM
Intuit Alumni

It may be possible in the future the e-file ability will go for the amended return you would need, however, we would not be able to say for certain. You would need to check at the time of filing. @SKJDC 

jula
Level 2

I received the same message for my 2021 federal amended return.  The 2021 amended state return was accepted.  Please let me know how to fix this.  I've already been on a chat about it with someone from Turbo Tax and she finally said to contact the IRS.  IRS says they won't process the forms for 16 weeks.  I feel like I'm in a black hole.  No usable "unformation" is allowed to escape.

CatinaT1
Expert Alumni

You are posting on an old thread. Can  you please explain what  you are trying to determine?

jula
Level 2

Hello-

I received this message after e-filing my amended 2021 return.  The state portion was accepted, but federal was rejected.  The email described the problem as 

/Return/ReturnHeader/FilingSecurityInformation/TotalPreparationSubmissionTs - Data

I'm not sure how to proceed.  I would send in the forms through the mail, but I was advised not to, and I have my payment information included on the e-file and I don't want to pay twice.

How should I proceed?  Contacting the IRS has been less than helpful.

Thank you-

Julie

jula
Level 2

Also, when I go into Turbo Tax to "Let's Fix My Return" it does not appear that filing electronically is even an option now.  The only option seems to be to download the .tax file and file a paper return.

jimsampson329
Returning Member

I'm having the same exact issue as @jula, also trying to amend my 2021 return.

CatinaT1
Expert Alumni

You can only e-file current year amended returns. You have to paper file prior year amendments.

I am also having this same issue, trying to amend 2021 federal return and getting this error with no explanation and no ability to "fix my return". Both the IRS & turbotax claim you CAN e-file amendments up to two years back. @CatinaT1 , where does it say only current year amendments can be e-filed?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies