turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

1099R

I received a 1099R dated 1-31-19 but didn't get the check until January 2020. Do I have to report money I didn't receive on my 2019 tax returns?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
TomK100
Expert Alumni

1099R

If the 1099-R is dated in 2019, it gets entered for tax season 2019.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

1099R

Okay I got that taken care of and filed. I got back a refund on my Federal return and efiled it through Turbo Tax. Then today I forgot about a Carpenters pension and received another 1099R so I filed a amended return and ended up owing. I never had to amend a return and when I got to the end Turbo Tax said my taxed were filed and accepted. That is for the first time. How will the IRS know I now owe and will be sending in the amount from this amended form? 

ReginaM
Expert Alumni

1099R

You won't be able to amend your tax return until the IRS releases the 1040-X Amendment form for 2019. The IRS estimate for issuing the 1040X form is mid February.

Additionally, make sure that your 2019 return was accepted in TurboTax Online or paper-filed through the mail.  

To prepare an amended return through TurboTax, follow these steps:

1. Sign in to TurboTax.
  2. Scroll down to Your tax return & documents (you may need to select Show), select 2019 and then Amend (change) return.
  3. Select Amend using TurboTax Online.
  4. Carefully follow the instructions. Don't worry if your refund changes to $0. This is normal on amended returns.
  5. When finished, we'll give you instructions for printing and mailing your amended return as amendments can't be e-filed.

Three weeks after mailing your amended return, you can start tracking it at the IRS Where's My Amended Return? tracking tool.  Please allow at least 16 weeks for the IRS to process your amended return.

1099R

So I saw the "Amend Return" when I went back into Turbo Tax. It's just when I tried to send it the message was "Efile was already accepted. So you are saying about mid February I can then send the amended and the IRS will know not to auto deposit the refund I had on the original filing? It went from getting $300 to owing $300.

I guess I am confused because Turbo Tax allowed me to do the amendment. Seems like it would have said I would have to wait. 

ReginaM
Expert Alumni

1099R

You won't be able to amend your tax return until the IRS releases the 1040-X Amendment form for 2019. The IRS estimate for issuing the 1040X form is mid February.

Additionally, make sure that your 2019 return was accepted in TurboTax Online or paper-filed through the mail.  

To prepare an amended return through TurboTax, follow these steps:

1. Sign in to TurboTax.
  2. Scroll down to Your tax return & documents (you may need to select Show), select 2019 and then Amend (change) return.
  3. Select Amend using TurboTax Online.
  4. Carefully follow the instructions. Don't worry if your refund changes to $0. This is normal on amended returns.
  5. When finished, we'll give you instructions for printing and mailing your amended return as amendments can't be e-filed.

Three weeks after mailing your amended return, you can start tracking it at the IRS Where's My Amended Return? tracking tool.  Please allow at least 16 weeks for the IRS to process your amended return.

Processing times for amended state returns vary from state to state. If it's been more than 12 weeks since you mailed your amended state return, and you haven't heard anything, we suggest you contact your state tax agency.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies