turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Tax Year Prior to 2020: 1099-MISC - Schedule C

Hello,

I have TurboTax Deluxe and received a 1099-MISC along with a W2.

After I complete everything, the Smart Check finds errors that need to be corrected, it brings me to the Schedule C which makes me enter my "business" information.

I do not have a business, but I realize that with 1099-MISC it makes me now considered a business. I do not have the detailed information that TurboTax is asking me for, business type, accounting methods, and so on.

What do enter in a situation like this? Generic, basic information? 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

69 Replies
MinhT1
Expert Alumni

When you receive a form 1099-MISC, you are self-employed and considered as operating a business. This is not a business in the common meaning, but that you are in business doing what you do to earn the money reported on the 1099-MISC.

So in TurboTax, just give your name and address as name and address of the business, say that you are using the cash method, that it is a sole proprietorship and list the work as the work you do (for example consultant, photographer,...)

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I did not receive any 1099 MISC this year. How do I delete Schedule C and eliminate the annoying error correction?

WKins2
Expert Alumni

If you did not receive any 1099's in 2019, but your business is still operational, you should file a zero Schedule C return to let the IRS and/or your state know that the business is still operational, but you did not have any income or expenses.

If you did not receive and 1099's and the business is no longer operational you can delete the Schedule C form:

• Login to your TurboTax account
  • Click Continue Your Return
  • On the left side of the screen click Tax Tools
  • Click on Tools
  • You will see several options to chose from click on delete a form
  • Scroll through the list until you find the form you want to delete and select delete 
zZCp

I received a 1099-MISC from a university to act as a outside marketing consultant for a temporary position.  I am retired and this was only one job.  I have TurboTax Deluxe and it appears that I must complete a schedule C 1099 form.  Can I get this form on this particular TurboTax package and, if so, how can I find it.   What I see when going into the Federal scanning process is that it is showing my husband as owner which is incorrect and I don't know how to proceed.

SuperB

It was suggested to me by my tax professional to use the Prize Winning selection for my 1099 Misc that was a paid bonus. That way my earnings were taxed but I was not charged any business tax charges since I do NOT have a business. Doing this also dropped my audit risk way down. Was in the yellow before the change.

DavidS127
Expert Alumni

For your 1099-MISC:

If you have expenses to deduct, you will need TurboTax Online Self-Employed. If you do not have expenses to deduct, you can use TurboTax Online Deluxe.

If you use the TurboTax Download/CD product, you will need either the Deluxe or Home and Business versions, depending on what kind of Schedule C expenses you deduct.  If you start with the lower priced product, you can upgrade to a higher-priced version if you need it.

Once you find the uploaded 1099-MISC in your software, you can select whether the 1099-MISC is for you or your husband on the 1099-MISC entry screen.

@zZCp

I am having a similar issue with my 1099-MISC. I filed my taxes more than a week ago (which were accepted) and shortly after, I was receiving e-mails for me to file a Schedule C. I am an independent contractor employed by a Modeling Agency and worked 1 job in 2019. Am I required to file a Schedule C?

I would assume this is an automated response for me filing the 1099-MISC. If I am required to file the Schedule C, where would I find this form AFTER having already filed my State Tax return? I received this response AFTER filing and NOT before.

Also, I am being asked to file a Schedule CA (540), California Adjustments - Residents? Since I already filed my state taxes, why am I receiving this auto-generated response? I think this is associated with my 1099-MISC in some way since I have never received this from using TurboTax in the last 2 years.

2 questions in 1, I know, but they are probably related. Please and thanks for any assistance.
ColeenD3
Expert Alumni

If you receive income for non-employee compensation, you must include it in income. If you work in any capacity and did not receive a Form W-2 for wages, you must complete Schedule C.

To enter the income from a Box 7, 1099-Misc:

You can enter a 1099-MISC on the 1099-MISC Summary screen.

1. Open or continue your return.
  2. Search for 1099-misc.
  3. Select the option to go to the 1099-MISC section.
  4. Select Yes to Did you get a 1099-MISC?
    • If you need to enter another 1099-MISC, select Add Another 1099-MISC to enter a new one.
  5. Enter the information from your 1099-MISC.
    • If your form has an amount in more than one box, you’ll need to enter them as separate 1099-MISC forms. We’ll help you with that.

KPx4
Level 1

I have never seen the questions related to the schedule C on turbo tax before, and I have entered information incorrectly. How do I go back to that section in Turbo Tax and start over? I cannot seem to find it. Even when I review my 1099-Misc and start over.

RobertG
Expert Alumni

Here's how to edit your Schedule C information:

1. Go to the 'Federal' section under 'Income and Expenses' 
  2. Select 'Edit/Add' next to 'Self-employment income and expenses'
  3. Select 'Edit' next to the name of the business you previously entered.

Or if you prefer, select the garbage can to delete the business you previously entered and start over.

@KPx4

KrisD15
Expert Alumni

@KPx4

You can type   schedule c   into the search box and then click the "Go to Schedule C" link 

If you want to report expenses, you will need to upgrade to TurboTax Self-Employment 

Hello,

My mom is a widow and received a 1099 Misc from my father's old employer. Turbo tax is assuming she is a business owner as well.  She received deferred income last year too from the same company and her CPA did not file a schedule C. I realize that Turbotax may be trying to help find a deduction for any expenses, But, in this case it's clear she is the farthest thing from being considered a business owner or sole proprietor.  Is there a workaround so that we don't have to file a schedule C for this misc. Income?

MaryK4
Expert Alumni

Which box is the income in? @Filemomstax

dhelm13

where can I put my 1099 misc in prizes?  I am not a business so I should not be filing a schedule c for this

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies