turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

1099 - cost basis not reported to IRS

I have received the 1099 from my bank. There are recorded several stock trades with gain and losses.

At the end of the 1099 there are three transactions reported separately, under the section "Other Transactions - cost basis not reported to IRS - Form 8949"

In the1099 document provided by the bank, the Gain or loss for these last transactions is ZERO, but in the sections "proceeds" and "cost basis" the values are present. When importing the 1099 to Turbotax the software uses the proceeds and cost basis to calculate the gain/losses also for these transactions. So the Final result of the imported 1099 is different than the one identified on the bank statement.

So, do I continue with the value of Turbotax (even if different from the bank 1099) or should I treat these transactions separately?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
JohnB5677
Expert Alumni

1099 - cost basis not reported to IRS

For the three transactions reported separately, under the section "Other Transactions - cost basis not reported to IRS - Form 8949", you should have a cost basis and proceeds posted to your return.

You got this message because prior to 2013 the broker did not keep track of the original cost.  It was your responsibility to maintain it.  If the documented cost value looks correct you can proceed.

If you're unsure you may be able to use Historical Stock Quote Prices - MarketWatch to determine the original value.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies