Solved: Re: 1099-C after settlement payment

1099-C after settlement payment

After hooking up with a debt relief agency (didn't declare bankruptcy), they helped me settle a personal loan debt with Avant with a reduction from about 3500 down to about one thousand, which I was able to completely pay off.

Naturally, I got a cancellation of debt form, but saying the "debt discharged" was about 3100, only about a 400 dollar difference from the original loan. Should I double check with them to see if my re-settled payment afterwards was included in calculating that, or is that something they would have already done? Or are resettled payments for debts not included in those calculations anyway? I know there's exceptions with bankruptcy or insolvency, but I don't know if that applies here. It has a really big effect on my return, so I'm cautious.

1099-C after settlement payment

If your debt was $3,500 and the lender settled for $1,000 (which you paid), the amount of debt forgiven should only be only $2,500.  I suggest you check with the lender that issued the 1099-C for a corrected copy.

1099-C after settlement payment