Solved: Re: 1099-C after settlement payment

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Announcements
TurboTax has you covered during Covid. Get the latest second stimulus info here.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 1

1099-C after settlement payment

After hooking up with a debt relief agency (didn't declare bankruptcy), they helped me settle a personal loan debt with Avant with a reduction from about 3500 down to about one thousand, which I was able to completely pay off.

Naturally, I got a cancellation of debt form, but saying the "debt discharged" was about 3100, only about a 400 dollar difference from the original loan. Should I double check with them to see if my re-settled payment afterwards was included in calculating that, or is that something they would have already done? Or are resettled payments for debts not included in those calculations anyway? I know there's exceptions with bankruptcy or insolvency, but I don't know if that applies here. It has a really big effect on my return, so I'm cautious.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Employee Tax Expert

If your debt was $3,500 and the lender settled for $1,000 (which you paid), the amount of debt forgiven should only be only $2,500.  I suggest you check with the lender that issued the 1099-C for a corrected copy.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Employee Tax Expert

If your debt was $3,500 and the lender settled for $1,000 (which you paid), the amount of debt forgiven should only be only $2,500.  I suggest you check with the lender that issued the 1099-C for a corrected copy.

View solution in original post

Dynamic Ads
v
Privacy Settings