Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

1040 Schedule 1 Cryptocurrency question

My wife and I just filed our taxes, and now I am confused if we answered the question in regards to cryptocurrency correctly. The question was ambiguous at best. She bought Bitcoin in 2019 so we clicked the box yes. Was that correct or do we have to amend our taxes and check no? Thanks so much for you help. She did not trade it just hold it.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
AmyC
Expert Alumni

Buying the bitcoin is not a taxable event. Think of it like stock, it is only taxed when you sell it. No need to amend.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thanks but did we answernthe schedule 1 question correctly by checking yes.  It says at any time durimg 2019 did you recieve sell send exchange or otherwise acquire financial interest.  I would assume acquiring financial interest is buying and holding correct.  I am very confused  it should say did you buy sell recieve etc.  

AmyC
Expert Alumni

The program asks a lot of questions that do not go on your actual tax return. They are just guiding the program. That is one of those questions. There are always more questions that follow up. You would have been asked about selling stocks, or other things.  As long as you did not actually enter the purchase of the cryptocurrency on  your return, you are fine. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
mary
Level 2

YOU DON'T REPORT THE TRANSACTION UNTIL YOU SELL IT

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies