Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

NY requires me to e-file tax returns but your software will not let me without e-filing federal returns. My fed returns has been paper filed 2 months ago.

@Bwest15The issue is that TT should state clearly before I pay for using their NY State  tax software that efile is not available! They don’t stand behind their warranty. Have requested refund and getting a run around reply saying the issue has now been resolved . It has not been fixed. Went back 3 times to start state return over and at the end I get the same message- EFILE not available. If I wanted to do snail mail I would have saved myself $50 . 

Josh K

NY requires me to e-file tax returns but your software will not let me without e-filing federal returns. My fed returns has been paper filed 2 months ago.

"They admitted it is a bug or a problem that has to be fixed for next year."

Funny... that's what they said last year.

Seriously, TurboTax, get yourself together here and fix this issue. WE are PAYING you for this service, part of that agreed-upon payment is the convenience of e-filing. Furthermore, you need to untag this thread as "SOLVED" it is NOT solved. AT. ALL.

gkytfjghftyyfhgjdj
Returning Member

"New York does NOT require a state tax return to be e-filed if the software being used does not support e-filing.  Additionally the mandate is for tax return preparers.  It is NOT for self-prepared tax returns which is what returns completed using TurboTax are, self-prepared."

This is not true.  NY website: https://www.tax.ny.gov/pit/efile/efile_mandate_for_individuals.htm#:~:text=The%20cost%20of%20tax%20p...

which state all must efile if they meet these conditions:

• you use software to prepare your own personal income tax return (this is true for all TT users)
  • your software supports the electronic filing of your return (TT DOES support efiling, so this is true for all TT users)
  • you have broadband Internet access (this is true for all users, because libraries exist)

If you use TT to fill out new york return, you *must* efile them.
JohnW152
Expert Alumni

There are certain New York forms that aren't supported in E-file -- See TurboTax's State forms availability table for TurboTax individual (personal) tax products page -- and if any of these are required to be filed with a return, the return would need to be printed and mailed. 

Lies. If you print out your tax return from turbotax, the first page says you cannot mail it in.  Thats your software doing a bad job and not fixing it.

LenaH
Employee Tax Expert

You may be experiencing an issue if one of your W-2's has a 414(h) in Box 14. TurboTax content developers have identified this issue and found a solution that will allow you to e-file your New York State return. 

Please follow the steps below:

1. Open your return.
  2. Search W-2 with the magnifying glass tool at the top of the page.
  3. Click the Jump to W-2 link at the top of the search results.
  4. Click Edit next to your W-2.
  5. Scroll down to Box 14.
  6. For the Box 14 entries with category New York IRC 414(h) NY tax exempt, enter the letters NOT directly after your existing description input. Please do not include a space
  7. Click Continue
  8. Click File on the left hand side.
  9. Click Start next to Get ready to save and file your returns.
  10. Click Change next to 2020 New York Return.
  11. Select e-file and continue.

A full update will soon eliminate this error, but this was the provided instructions until that is complete. 

@KowaiDavid

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
ljm5kracer
Returning Member

This is not my situation-i.e., no W-2 with box 14, 414(h) info so that cannot be the only fix. Time to man up TT after this ongoing agony for at least 3 years now.

ljm5kracer
Returning Member

TT does indeed support e-filing-that is true. However, it is obvious that in many tax situations (just follow this Q&A topic for details), TT does NOT support e-filing. Thus, the need to paper file in those SPECIFIC instances. Unfortunately, TT is woefully inadequate in identifying the detailed reasons as to why it does not support e-filing in those specific tax situations.

I am still having an issue with the 414(h) box even after following these instructions. Can you tell us exactly when the full update will be made? Will this take place before when taxes need to be filed?

With 414(h). you have to update the drop down to reflect NY Taxable.   That will resolve the issue.

Can we better explain Step 6 as well? This does not seem to be that clear.

This is the correct solution. It is shocking and upsetting that TurboTax has been unable to resolve this and/or to clearly respond to the many years of issues reported in these forums. Thank you to the person who posted this correct solution. 

The main issue with 414(h), is the employer/payroll dept not properly providing or properly identifying and correcting Line 14 information for things such as 414(h) on the W-2.  If they did, when TurboTax Says there is an issue, most people will double check the info they entered in, and when getting to W-2, they'd catch the issue there.   TurboTax will automatically choose box 14 information dropdown/category for some items, but not all unfortunately.  One of the reasons that TurboTax may not automatically choose it for 414(h) is because some are tax exempt, while others are not.  Depends on the state Tax rules and the plan that you participate in at work.   

xuhua_-li

For most of us, the sequence is as following: 

1) turbotax says we cannot e-file and suggest us to print out and mail the form

2) we do so following turbotax suggestion

3) then we find out that NY does not allow e-file

At this time, turbotax does not allow us to get back to make any change. Therefore, this workaround do not work at all for many of us. 

xuhua_-li

Sorry, I meant NY only allow e-file. But we cannot do anything at this time. Turbotax does not allow up to get back to change anything once we paid and filed, although we did not mail out the printout yet. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies