Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

1) why are fed income taxes paid not a reduction of net income in Turbo Tax? 2) Why is my balance sheet retained earnings is off by the exact amount of Fed tax deposited?

Form 1120 : Income = 4,004,876 : Expenses =1,595,901 ; Net Income = 2,408,975
Tax=544,375 But retained earnings = 2,408,975. Why are not the federal taxes subtracted from something? (fed tax deposits = 565,000)
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

1) why are fed income taxes paid not a reduction of net income in Turbo Tax? 2) Why is my balance sheet retained earnings is off by the exact amount of Fed tax deposited?

If your business has more than 4 million in income you can afford to use a paid tax pro so the TT Business program has the option to upgrade for professional assistance ... please use that option since most users on this forum will not be able to help you with a Corporate return.  

You are correct - I asked a Tax Professional and they said "That's why tax professionals don't use Turbo Tax".

Ok ... I am confused.   If you need to make an overriding entry in the forms mode then do so.   If you don't know what you are doing employ a professional.  This year the TT Business program has the option to upgrade to live help if you wish  OR   seek an outside professional to get the return completed.  1.jpg

It doesn't matter if I made $10.00 and paid $1.00 in income tax, the Turbo Tax balance sheet would still be off because it is not reducing the net income by the $1.00 before it adds the net income to the retained earnings.  Since Turbo Tax calculates the income tax it should automatically reduce the net income by the amount of tax paid. Then the excess amount of taxes deposited should be put into an asset account of prepaid taxes for next year.  Sure I can do a [Ctrl + D] and do an override to net income, but why should I have to do that?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies