Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Question about filing a late Tax Return

Hello, 
I am an expat, living outside of the United States. I sent in my 2021 tax return last year before the deadline, I had to do this through Snail Mail because my wife is considered a Non-Resident Alien (NRA) in the US. I have just recently found out, that this Tax Return never made it to the IRS, it got lost in the mail. I confirmed this with my tracking number on the package and by calling the IRS. 

My question is this, because I obviously need to file the 2021 Tax Return again. Now that the 2021 Tax Returns are considered late, is there anything (form or otherwise) in addition to the original Tax Return that I need to file or mail with it, because it is late?  

To give further context, I am owed back money on the 2021 Tax Return of around $600, because I overpaid on the quarterly tax payments throughout the year, so per my understanding, there shouldn’t be any late penalty, is there anything I need to include with it, or just remail it? 

Thank you for any help or advice you can offer on this, have a good day. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Correct.  Just mail the return again.  Make sure you sign and date the Form 1040 on page 2.

View solution in original post

5 Replies

There are no penalties for filing a tax return after the due date if you are receiving a tax refund.  You have three years to file the tax return after the due date for a tax refund.

If the IRS owes you money, they don't care if you never file.  The late penalty is only for those who owe money to the IRS.  

Awesome, so there's no other paperwork I need to include with it either, for it being late? Just remail it, correct? Thank you for the help!

Correct.  Just mail the return again.  Make sure you sign and date the Form 1040 on page 2.

You probably had the correct address to send it to, but you should re-check here in case the particular office you should use has changed:

Where to File Paper Tax Returns With or Without a Payment | Internal Revenue Service (irs.gov)

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies