Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

QCD

What do I have to do to report a Qualified Charitable Distribution (QCD)? Do I have to fill out 1055-R Forms and submit them to the IRS? I already filled out a form from my financial institution and they payed the money to the charity institution from my RMD.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
K M W
Employee Tax Expert

QCD

There is no special code on the 1099R for a Qualified Charitable Distribution - it is up to you to report the portion of your distribution that meets the rules to be not taxed as a qualified charitable distribution.

To report your qualified charitable contribution, you would simply report the 1099R as issued to you, but then the taxable amount would be adjusted to eliminate the portion used for as a Qualified Chartable Distribution.  The gross distribution of the IRA will show on the front of the 1040 form for IRA distributions; however the line for taxable amount should show "QCD" and the portion used for the QCD should not be included in the taxable amount line.

Remember you cannot claim these charitable contributions as an itemized deduction on Schedule A for the amount you are reporting as a QCD.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

7 Replies
BettieG
Employee Tax Expert

QCD

Hi @stolat10!  Great question!  

To report a qualified charitable distribution on your Form 1040 tax return, you generally report the full amount of the charitable distribution on the line for IRA distributions. On the line for the taxable amount, enter zero if the full amount was a qualified charitable distribution. Enter "QCD" next to this line. See the Form 1040 instructions for additional information.

You must also file Form 8606, Nondeductible IRAs, if:

• you made the qualified charitable distribution from a traditional IRA in which you had basis and received a distribution from the IRA during the same year, other than the qualified charitable distribution; or
  • the qualified charitable distribution was made from a Roth IRA.

This can easily be done in TurboTax!

I hope this is helpful!  If so, please give me a thumbs up!

QCD

After you enter the 1099R into your tax return it will ask if it was a QCD and how much.  Is this for 2022 or 2023?  For 2022,  If you already filed your 2022 return you may need to amend it.

K M W
Employee Tax Expert

QCD

There is no special code on the 1099R for a Qualified Charitable Distribution - it is up to you to report the portion of your distribution that meets the rules to be not taxed as a qualified charitable distribution.

To report your qualified charitable contribution, you would simply report the 1099R as issued to you, but then the taxable amount would be adjusted to eliminate the portion used for as a Qualified Chartable Distribution.  The gross distribution of the IRA will show on the front of the 1040 form for IRA distributions; however the line for taxable amount should show "QCD" and the portion used for the QCD should not be included in the taxable amount line.

Remember you cannot claim these charitable contributions as an itemized deduction on Schedule A for the amount you are reporting as a QCD.

rschule1
Expert Alumni

QCD

Hi There:

Each bank or brokerage company has its own internal form to transact a QCD. From there, at the end of the tax year, it will issue you an appropriate  form1099-R.  From there use form 1099R with Turbo Tax Online to report  to the IRS the QCD, which the program will include as part of your tax return.  

QCD

For 2023

balex

QCD

I import my 1099R from my brokerage account.  Turbo tax does not ask me questions about my distribution.  I am 75 yrs old.  box 7 has 7 and ira/sep/simple is checked.   Turbo Tax help says "the turbo tax QCD question is tied to the RMD question".  where is the RMD question?

dmertz
Level 15

QCD

In the online version of TurboTax there is a page that list a number of checkboxes where there is a checkbox that you must mark to indicate that some or all of the distribution was transferred to charity.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies