turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

wab9
Level 2

Problems e-filing an amended return

I realized that I needed to file an amended return for 2023 about a week after filing the original returns. The process for creating the amended federal and state returns was pretty straightforward. The issues began when I tried to file. The initial filing page said that I would have to print and mail the federal return, but that I could e-file the state return. There was a button on the page to print the federal return so I did that. The page said it would ask me how I wanted to print it, and that I should specify "for filing". It didn't ask and it ended up printing a bunch of worksheets, in addition to the forms for filing. When I went to the next page, it told me I could in fact, e-file the federal and state (GA) forms. Then went through the pages to e-file both and got to the point of hitting "transmit". The transmission failed and gave me an error message that said that TurboTax was not ready to file 2023 forms (this was today).  I tried again and got the same failure so I called Technical Support.  They told me to open and close the program to see if there were some updates and then turn off my antivirus software. I did all that this time it indicated that the federal transmission went through. It didn't say anything about the state transmission going through but the next page said that the federal was waiting for acceptance, but the state had been accepted. The latter seemed strange to me since I never saw any medication at the state I've been transmitted. Indeed, while I've gotten confirmation, since then, at the federal form has been accepted, I have received nothing from the state, indicating that they received the transmission never mind accepting it. I called Technical Support again and asked if there was a way to force TurboTax to retransmit amended state submission. They were no help.

My purpose in writing this long tome is twofold. First I wanted to point out that there are some errors in TurboTax to whether or not you can actually file an amended federal return electronically under appropriate circumstances. Second, I wanted to see if anyone knows how I might force TurboTax to retransmit the amended state return that it actually thinks has been accepted.  if not, I will end up ironically printing and mailing the amended state return.

Thanks for any help anyone can provide.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

11 Replies
CatinaT1
Expert Alumni

You can efile current year amended returns. To check that your return was received by the taxing authority  using these instructions: Check the Electronic Postmark of your Return. Pay close attention to the separate lines for Federal and State. They are separate statuses.

Here is additional information on amending:

If you want to make changes or add a document to a tax return that has already been submitted, you should follow these guidelines. 

• You must first wait until the initial return is completely processed. 
  • You will have to use the same TurboTax account that you used for the original tax return. 
  • Once you begin your amendment, you'll see your original return.  
  • The refund calculator will start new at $0 and only reflect the changes in the refund or tax due 
  • Only make changes to the areas of your return that need amending. 
  • You have three years from the date you filed your return or two years after you paid the tax due (whichever is later) to file an amendment 

Select your product below and follow the instructions. 

Amend TurboTax Online 

Amend TurboTax CD/Download 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
wab9
Level 2

Thank you for your response. As I tried to indicate in my post, the problem is that TurboTax thinks it transmitted, the amended Georgia return, but in fact it did not. When I check the electronic postmark of the return as you advise, it says that both the federal and the Georgia amended returns have been accepted. That is correct for the federal return and I have received confirmation of that.  it is not correct for the Georgia return. I received no confirmation that Georgia received the return or accepted the return, and the Georgia tax center does not show any indication that the amended return was received by Georgia. What I would like to do is re-file the amended Georgia return electronically.  I spent over an hour with Intuit Support today and they were unable to resolve this problem. However, tier 2 support indicated that something should happen on March 14 to allow me to e-file the amended Georgia return. I hope this is true, though I remain skeptical.

Thanks for posting this issue.  I too had to amend my Federal and Georgia State tax returns and E-filed them again but despite TurboTax Desktop indicating under the "File/Check E-filing Status" with "Green" check marks in TurboTax saying both were "Accepted" and that I'm finished with my taxes it is doesn't appear that this is correct.    TurboTax clearly created all the amended state return documents which it allowed me to print for my records but at the time the return(s) were transmitted I never got one indication that it was actually sending the Georgia State return.  And, unlike the Federal return (and my initial return submission) I never got an email from TurboTax saying my state return was submitted along with the Federal or another email indicating the Georgia State return was accepted.

I expect TurboTax to figure this out and have the means to contact me as a customer indicating that they made an error and will contact me about how to E-file my Georgia State return again.    I'll wait through this March 14 possible "fix" and see what happens.  

jonesH

So I also have exactly this problem, except that I couldn't even file my federal amended return.  Did the same as tech support said: disabled my antivirus program, closed and reopened Turbotax but only got the message that Tax year 2023 transmissions are not available.  Neither my federal nor my state (GA) amended taxes went through.  Thanks for the info about March 14 - I'll also try again after then.  Highly frustrating Turbotax - please get your #$%% together.

wab9
Level 2

I've tried again today. Nothing has changed. TurboTax still thinks that the amended Georgia return has been e-filed and accepted by the state. This remains incorrect. Unless there are repairs to TurboTax, I will end up needing to mail the amended return to Georgia.

I'm dubious as well that perhaps TurboTax Desktop For Mac really hasn't E-Filed my 2023 Georgia Amended Return after my first attempt on March 11 led to the status within TurboTax (File/Check E-filing Status) reverting from immediately/briefly indicating  that "Your 2023 Georgia Amended Return was Accepted" to saying "Your 2023 Georgia Return was Accepted" (Note that the word "Amended" was dropped after perhaps a couple hours).  TurboTax didn't notify of this ... it's just something I noticed after checking again.   So this lousy way TurboTax has of showing E-filing status with no dates/times/revision numbering can change without any customer input.

So, I waited for that March 14 date and re-E-filed my Georgia State return and this time TurboTax continues to say every day that "Your 2023 Georgia Amended Return was Accepted".  But again, it gave me that status IMMEDIATELY after I chose to E-file?   Wouldn't it take some amount of time before they could conclude it was "Accepted"?  Hmm?    

So why else am I dubious?   Well, unlike all past successful E-filing I always got an e-mail from TurboTax indicating that my Federal and State  returns were transmitted and then another e-mail when they were accepted.   This is exactly how it worked for my Federal Tax return (even the amended one).   But when E-filing the Georgia Amended Return(s)  I got no emails at all about the status of these State returns.

I'm taking TurboTax at it's word right now when they continue to show in their software that my return was Accepted by the State.  But, I check daily on the Georgia Tax Center site if I ever see an indication there that they have received or processed my amended return which they have not yet.  (It only shows the date of my non-amended return being received/accepted).    I have no idea what the State's timeframe is for processing Amended returns and showing an updated status to me.

I thought briefly that maybe I should try to re-re-E-file the Amended state return but given that TurboTax in their (File/Check E-filing Status) doesn't even show any details about which Amended return they say was "Accepted" it probably won't make things any clearer to me about what is going on.   

Will let this play out another week before deciding on any other actions.    

Hey, TurboTax how about improving the File/Check E-filing Status message you present to give a little more proof that things were transmitted like time stamps and other things showing a bit more proof especially given that you did not send e-mails about that at the time of re-E-filing an Amended Return.   

wab9
Level 2

TurboTax still shows my Georgia amended return as "accepted" even though the Georgia Tax Center continues to show no evidence of having received this return. As I have indicated my previous posts, it is clear to me that TurboTax never sent this amended return to Georgia. I just spent another two hours on the phone with TurboTax, most of which was spent trying to explain the problem to them. Apparently they don't keep useful notes of previous conversations. Eventually, I was disconnected with no resolution. This whole experience has been very frustrating and disappointing. After many years of using TurboTax, I plan to change to a different product next year.  It is quite clear to me that the root cause of this situation is a problem with the code in TurboTax desktop for the Mac for tax year 2023. The fact that I am unable to reach anyone at Intuit who cares is unacceptable.

rfwwrf

I met a similar issue, but it was my federal amended return.

I did transmit my 2023 amended tax return several days ago, and received the confirmation message about the acceptance of my state amended return, but didn't receive any confirmation for my federal amended return. 

On the page 'check E-file Status', the state part shows accepted with green. But the federal part shows 'Transmission Trouble - Please Try Again'. This means it was not successfully transmitted yet.

When I go back to file again, the software continues saying both my Federal and State returns have been transmitted. If I click 'Continue', it always goes back to the previous page, and no way to proceed the filing process.

The customer service couldn't help and suggested me to print and mail :(

CatinaT1
Expert Alumni

You can check that your return was received by the taxing authority  using these instructions: Check the Electronic Postmark of your Return. Pay close attention to the separate lines for Federal and State. They are separate statuses.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
wab9
Level 2

As I have stated repeatedly in previous posts, the e-file status shows the amended Georgia return as having been excepted. For all the reasons I have outlined above I do not think that this is correct. To recap, I got no electronic confirmation, the status changed to accepted instantaneously which is not been my experience ever before or after many years of using TurboTax to e-file, and the Georgia tax center shows no evidence that they have received the amended return. Intuit has been of no help to me resolving this problem. I think I am left with two choices. One is to mail the amended return. I am concerned about that because George requires electronic filing for applicants like myself entitled to certain credits. While the original return was filed electronically and I am confident that it was received and accepted, I don't know how paper filing medical return may affect this. The second option is to just let this go. Intuit ostensibly guarantees the accuracy of the filing process and since TurboTax shows the amended return as having been accepted, if the Georgia texting authorities at some point come back to me and say they did not receive the return and want to penalize me, at least in principle this penalty would be on Intuit's back. I'm not sure I really wanna fight that battle.

wab9
Level 2

P.S., the instruction in your link don't really apply to the current version of TurboTax Home and Business 2023 for the Mac, and I don't think apply anymore across the board.  The menu item under file is "check e-filing status."  It takes me to the page that says that both the Federal and GA amended returns were "accepted."  There is no "postmark" information, as I had been familiar with in the past.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies