Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

thompbg

Problem with 1099 import from Etrade. Will not work!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

17 Replies

Having problems here too. Last weekend I was able to import 1099B from Etrade but the numbers were wrong. Intuit must be working on a fix for all of the multiple Etrade import issues. Give it a few days before trying it again.

I am having trouble also. I called etrade and they said the problem may be the file is to large.  Need to get an answer from Turbo tax. Any help would be useful. My file is quite large and would be a lot of work to hand enter all the transcations.

It's starting to look like a problem on the Etrade side. My Schwab import was 10 times larger and had no problem importing all of the info into Turbotax. Etrade keeps saying it's not their problem.

Thank you for the information.  I may be moving my stocks to Schwab as well.

I am having the same problem.  My import from TD Ameritrade was translated correctly into Turbotax.  The import from Etrade is not translating correctly.  It has nothing to do with file size, it's that Turbotax doesn't show at all the subtotals of a chain of trades.  

I talked with a representative from Turbo Tax on 02/21/2019. He remotely connected to my computer and helped me go through the process of doing the import. We were unsuccessful. He seen there is a problem and said he will call me back Monday evening (2/25) and let me know the status. I believe they know there is a problem and they are working on it.
cpmyinfo

I just tried to import from E*Trade 2/26 around 1 PM EST and got the "This import was unsuccessful." message too.

I am still having the same problem importing my 1099 from E*trade. I tried again today 2/27/2019 and got the same message "unsuccessful".

An update on the import of 1099 problem from E*trade using Turbo tax. I was still unsuccessful, so decided to enter summary data only. Turbo tax explains this on their site. Once you do this, you are required to send a copy of your 1099B to the IRS. Turbo tax explains this also. Once you submit your electronic copy to Federal and State, Turbo tax prints out a cover letter and instructions on where to send
 a copy of your 1099B.
vbharry

For direct import issues with brokers, you can use the Excel (CSV) download and then convert to a TXF file using Excel2TXF (www.investotek.com)

that only does trades 1099-b. not 1099-int, 1099-div, etc.

I use etrade also,and I cannot import my 1099-b like you,just wanted to know if you got anywhere with etrade or turbo tax,thx

I was able to import all my etrade information, 1099's. It imported all my dividends and trades. I did this in February, so I do not remember the exact steps, but I just followed the screens. At some point, I had to enter my etrade account and password.

LinaJ2020
Expert Alumni

If import does not go smooth, I will suggest to manually enter info.  For import, there are a limit on how many transactions TurboTax can handle.  See blue links below.  Here are the steps:

In TurboTax online,

• Sign into your account, select Pick up where you left off
  • At the right upper corner, in the search box, type in 1099b and Enter 
  • Select Jump to 1099b
  • Follow prompts
  • On-screen, "Let's import your tax info, select I'll type it myself
  • Follow prompts to continue

For more information, click here: 

how many stock transactions TT can handle

Import / crashed

The transactions will generate either a long term or short term capital gain or loss depends on how long the stocks are being held.  The amount will be reported on line 7 of your Form 1040 along with a Schedule D and Form 8949.  

@jayc2000

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies