turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Prior year state estimated taxes paid don't seem to be included in the calculated total

TT 2021 Desktop: PERSONAL/Deductions& Credits/Estimates and Other Taxes Paid/Estimates

I've entered $200 as State estimated taxes for 2021. I've entered $500 as 2020 state estimated taxes paid in 2021. I click on the Done with Tax Payments button and see a total of $200 displayed on the Estimates line next to the Update button. Seems like a bug. 

Thoughts?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Prior year state estimated taxes paid don't seem to be included in the calculated total

I have Home & Business also.  The $200 is just the estimates for 2021.  So it's right.  The 500 can just be a federal itemized deduction on Schedule A.  It doesn't go against your 2021 state return.  It was entered on your 2020 state return.  Don't worry about it.  

View solution in original post

3 Replies

I have Home & Business also.  The $200 is just the estimates for 2021.  So it's right.  The 500 can just be a federal itemized deduction on Schedule A.  It doesn't go against your 2021 state return.  It was entered on your 2020 state return.  Don't worry about it.  

Thanks, VG. That makes sense. A little confusing (to me, anyway) that they show it that way. But totally makes sense. Thanks, again.

I always pay my state 4th quarter estimate by Dec 31 to keep it straight.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies