turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cjhusky
Returning Member

Please help - Latest manual update for TT2019 Tax Year and checking version?

I am looking for the latest manual update for tax year 2019.  At this link (Manually Update TurboTax for Windows Software (Bas... (intuit.com)) it says the latest is R56.  However, I have read from other postings that there is an R75 update, which was released after this, but I cannot locate it.  Can someone please confirm?

Also, is there a way to check my SW version to know for CERTAIN that the update was applied?  My SW version shows "2019.41.56.260" .  On the "View Installed Updates" tab under Update History, it shows

Program Updates (Critical)
(Released 11/13/2020) Program updates

...no reference to R56 or R75 or anything.  There is a more info tab, which takes me here: TurboTax 2020 release notes for Windows personal t... (intuit.com)

...also not helpful.

Why is there not a simple list for folks to match the update patches to the SW version number, or at least to show me that I have R56 installed AND that it is the very latest?  Seems like simple, industry standard best practices for release + patch release notes.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

10 Replies

A manual update is not necessary the latest update.    A manual update is done only if the normal update  procedure fails.  After doing a manual update then a normal update should be done.

Intuit

What is a manual update?

If you can't update your TurboTax for Windows software using the normal update method, you can download and install a manual update. This is an executable file that can be downloaded locally or onto a removable device for transfer to another computer.

Manual updates are available for TurboTax for Windows federal CD/Download software products. They're not available for the Mac or TurboTax State programs, nor will they convert an older version of TurboTax to the current version.

See the Related Information section for more info.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

Try doing another update.  Go up to Online - Check for Updates.  I have 2019 Home & Business for Windows so I opened my program.  It wanted to check for updates so I let it.  It downloaded a new update (from Aug 2020)

Then mine said 2019.41.42.252. 

Yours said 2019.41.56.260 

I assume the 56 is for the R56.  Mine seemed earlier than yours so I did ANOTHER update.  It did another big update dated in 2021.  Now mine says 2019.41.75.261  so it has a 75 in it now.  

cjhusky
Returning Member

So why is there no manual update to get R75? I need to download it remotely, because I don't have internet access from my PC, and need to get it remotely. Where can I find this separate update? Are there any release notes for what it fixes or updates?

cjhusky
Returning Member

Again, the link to manual updates is not up to date, as there is no R75 update, as indicated by Volvo Girl below. Where can I find this posted, as I cannot do an online update (no internet access from tax PC presently).

@cjhusky wrote:

Again, the link to manual updates is not up to date, as there is no R75 update, as indicated by Volvo Girl below. Where can I find this posted, as I cannot do an online update (no internet access from tax PC presently).

Nowhere since it does not exist.  As I said before, manually updates are not necessarily the latest update.   After applying the manual update then you need to do a normal update (online) to get the latest version.    The TurboTax system requirements *require* internet access.

And TurboTax discontinued release notes 3 years ago - nobody likes that, but it is how it is.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

@macuser_22   Please ask the moderator to check.  I just opened my 2019 on another computer to see the updates.  I couldn't open it without updating.  After it updated I wrote down the info.  It was just Released on 6/30/2021 so maybe they haven't updated the manual update list yet for it.   

cjhusky
Returning Member

This is highly unfortunate. The lack of posted updates is a deal killer for me. After 32 years of Intuit/TT, and I'm now feeling compelled to migrate to H&R Block for 2020.

FYI:  Manual updates are Windows only - Macs do not have ANY manual updates.   The ONLY reason for having a Windows manual update is to overcome a problem being able to update at all.    Once that problem is solved then the current version can be updated normally.    Mac's must do a total uninstall and re-install to fix a no-update problem.     Windows manual updates are a "repair tool" not a replacement for normal online updates.

cjhusky
Returning Member

Thanks for the prompt reply @macuser_22 . 

I'd caution incontrovertible statements like "The ONLY reason for having a Windows manual update is to overcome a problem being able to update at all ", as there are typically corner cases that prove the opposite, and this is one.  I run my TurboTax in a secured VM, which does not have internet accessibility, by design.  This ensures the very safest levels of managing many of my financial elements, as one of the strongest barriers to entry for potential ransomware attacks.  On this particular system, I do not allow internet connectivity, which precludes my ability to do an online update of the SW directly through the application.  I have zero "problem(s) being able to update at all", but I require a standalone, manual update.  I am a Windows user.

It is very odd to me that Intuit/TT posts manual updates for all tax years, but that they are apparently NOT current, which is troubling and definitely makes me second-guess my use of the application any further.  It's clear from @VolvoGirl and others I've seen online that there are further updates, which are not available offline, and without release notes, I cannot determine if these ae simply SW application stability and reliability improvements, OR, if they are in fact changes to tax code interpretations or calculations, which would impact the veracity and accuracy of my return.

I hope that an Intuit/TT moderator can help point me to the latest update.

cjhusky
Returning Member

Comical.  Had to reverse engineer the link to get the R75 update manually, by using the R56 pkg.
http://patchdelivery.turbotax.intuit.com/w_perrelsuperpatch_ttax_XXXX.YYY.ZZZZ.exe

Replace XXXX with: 2019
Replace YYY with: 750

Replace ZZZZ with: 0104

Sorry, but standard, best-practice SW update processes should compel their support team to update the manual summary page when they have an update.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies