Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Picked the wrong option to file. We had only W2 and 1099-INT, so we are eligible for the free one. Can I get the paid fee back?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

Picked the wrong option to file. We had only W2 and 1099-INT, so we are eligible for the free one. Can I get the paid fee back?

I imagine that if you haven't actually filed yet (but have paid) and you paid with a credit card, the easiest thing to do is to file a dispute with your credit card company, for non-receipt of service.  Then repeat the process with the free option. (I always find that it's a nightmare to try to undo a payment, so the easiest thing is always to go through the credit card company.)

HelenC12
Expert Alumni

If you started your tax return in TurboTax Free Edition (for simple returns only; not all taxpayers are eligible) and want to return to TurboTax Free Edition, select Switch to Free Edition in the left menu.

Remember, you’ll need to upgrade before you file if you have info that isn’t covered in a simple tax return. Each TurboTax product supports different tax situations and forms. Review the forms you want to include before switching products.

If you started your tax return in a different product, you must clear and start over to switch to a lower-priced product. This will erase all the info you've entered so far and you'll start again by answering a series of questions about you and your taxes.

If you already paid with a credit card or had the TurboTax fee taken from your refund, it's too late to switch products. If you chose to deduct the fee from your refund, but haven't yet completed the agreement, do this:

1. Select File from the menu
  2. Select Revisit next to Step 1 on the Just two more steps and we'll file your returns screen
  3. Select View payment options
  4. Select Pay with Credit Card, then cancel the credit card option
  5. You're able to clear and restart your return

You can also reduce your TurboTax fees by removing add-ons:

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies