Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

PDF of Turbotax 2021 Will not Upload

I am trying to import a PDF of my 2021 return. I can't use the actual TurboTax TAX file as I seem to have made small updates before printing and I did NOT save those updates to the TAX file. 

When I select the PDF it says "The import was not successful" and doesn't offer any error.

This is frustrating as I need to amend the return, and before I can do that I need to have the correct information from the original... 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

10 Replies

Did you update the program or make changes to your return?

Importing from the PDF is not the same as importing from a .tax file.

See https://ttlc.intuit.com/turbotax-support/en-us/help-article/import-export-data-files/transfer-last-y...

You failed to understand the problem, and you linked to an article about importing a prior year return into 2021. 

dmertz
Level 15

2021 TurboTax can only import a pdf of a 2020 tax return to begin a new 2021 tax return.

You might want to contact Support.

What is the TurboTax phone number? (intuit.com)

Regardless, you cannot "import" (or transfer) a 2021 .tax file or PDF into the 2021 program. 

Please explain more what you are trying to do.  Import a 2021 pdf to what?  Upload to where?  2021 is the current year.  Do you mean import a 2020 return you did last year into 2021?  How did you prepare the 2021 return?  The .tax2021 file should be more current than a pdf file.  Did you use the Online version or the CD/Download Desktop program?

What year do you need to amend?  2021 or 2020?  Are you trying to download the .tax  file to amend in the Desktop program?  You don't "import" it.  You just open the .tax file in the program.  

@Athair - does the *.pdf reflect what you submitted to the IRS? if yes, why can't open the *tax flle and slowly and carefully reconcile so that the *.tax file reflects what was submitted to the IRS.  You state the changes were only small.  Is that doable? 

did you save the *.tax file by chance on a backup platform from the time before made the changes? 

////  ]

@Athair 

you can not import a pdf of your 2021 tax return even if created by a Turbotax program into any 2021 Turbotax tax program. you can only use a xxxx.tax2021 file and that's not an import, you merely open the file. if you are saying that Turbotax updates change the return from what was filed as represented by the pdf you saved, then what was changed? it may be necessary to make some entries in the tax file to get back to where you were and then close and then do the amendment. after opening to amend delete those extra entries and make whatever proper corrections you think necessary.  please note that in some cases an amended return is not necessary, the IRS will catch the errors and make the changes. so if you tell us why and what items you are amending perhaps we can give better instructions.  

dmertz
Level 15

Since you did not save the version of the .tax2021 file that you used to produce the printed 2021 tax return that you have, your only option is to manually reconstruct the .tax2021 file by reintroducing the small updates that you mentioned.

I compared the 1040 to what is saved on my computer and thankfully found the discrepancy - I had a small rollover from a traditional 403B to a Roth 403B which I didn't save to the .TAX file so this issue is resolved. 

I have a new problem relating to the newly generated 1040X and posted a new question to address that.

Thank you to those who replied here with suggestions.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies