Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Parents as Dependents

I am head of household and I have claimed my mother as my dependent for a number of years.  She became eligible for SSI spousal benefits as of May 2023.  How can I determine if I can continue to claim her on my 2023 taxes and beyond?  She is not required to file a tax return herself as far as I know. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Parents as Dependents

Let's make sure you are using the term "SSI" correctly---that gets used incorrectly a lot.  Do you mean she is receiving Social Security?  That is NOT SSI.  If she is getting Social Security, she will receive a SSA1099 in January from Social Security, and that income does not prevent you from claiming her as a dependent.

WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN SOCIAL SECURITY BENEFITS AND SSI?

https://www.ssa.gov/ssi/text-over-ussi.htm

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

View solution in original post

9 Replies

Parents as Dependents

Your mom's Social Security benefits are not factored in when you are entering her as a dependent.   Only any OTHER income she is receiving would count.   Does she have any other income like a pension, investment income, etc.?

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Parents as Dependents

Thank you for you input xmasbaby0!

No other source of income beside this new SSI benefit.  I cover all of her high cost expenses like medical and dental insurance.  I was mostly concerned that there could be a dollar amount limit that any dependent can have and disqualify them from being claimed.  So this doesn’t apply to SSI benefits?

JanetB21
Employee Tax Expert

Parents as Dependents

Hello xmasbaby0,

Thanks for joining the event!

To continue to claim your parent as a dependent, you will need to determine if you provide more than ½ your parent’s support during the tax year, and their gross taxable income doesn’t exceed $4700 (for tax year 2023).  This is a great article on this topic: Claiming Parent as dependent 

Support worksheet:  Support Worksheet 

I hope this helps!

JanetB211

**Please say "Thanks" by clicking the thumbs up icon in a post

***Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on the "Mark as Best Answer"

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Parents as Dependents

Let's make sure you are using the term "SSI" correctly---that gets used incorrectly a lot.  Do you mean she is receiving Social Security?  That is NOT SSI.  If she is getting Social Security, she will receive a SSA1099 in January from Social Security, and that income does not prevent you from claiming her as a dependent.

WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN SOCIAL SECURITY BENEFITS AND SSI?

https://www.ssa.gov/ssi/text-over-ussi.htm

Parents as Dependents

Thank you Janet B211!

Is spousal SSI benefit taxable income?  She only started receiving starting May 2023

JanetB21
Employee Tax Expert

Parents as Dependents

Supplemental Security Income benefits are not taxable for Federal purposes.  This is a reference for you on this!
SSI  

Parents as Dependents

Yea, you’re absolutely correct xmasbaby0.  Thank you! The benefit that I am referring to is social security and NOT SSI.  

Parents as Dependents

Thank you JanetB21! Super helpful. So my understanding is that I should not have an issue in continuing to claim her as my dependent since I continue to provide over half of her support even with the new social security benefit she is receiving. 

bkaytaxes
Employee Tax Expert

Parents as Dependents

That is correct!  Great information @JanetB21 JanetB21

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies