cathiexu

Paid IRS online using debit card, what should I include to mail return to IRS

Hi, 

I had tax due this year and I paid to IRS online use my debit card, I received confirmation email and receipt which includes payment confirmation code. 

I need to mail my tax return files to IRS due to certain forms can only be mailed. 

1. In my mail to IRS, what documents do I need to include to tell IRS that I have made payment online? 

2. In turbox tax(CD version), what should I do so that 1040 form will show that I have made payment online?

Thank you!

Don't take this as gospel, but you shouldn't worry. Once your return is scanned into the IRS computers, your filing will instantly be matched with your payment, provided of course you included your social security number.   

You don't add that to your return.  The payment will match up with your return at the IRS.  Your return should say the final tax due (or refund).  

cathiexu

Thanks both! A follow up question is:

On my latest tax return 1040 form, it says I owed IRS 5k. I made online payment for $7k using debit card because initially I got wrong tax due amount due to various reasons. 

Now if I mail my return to IRS without attaching any online payment confirmation doc, would IRS know that I owed them 5k but paid 7k, and eventually returned me $2k?

Thanks! 

Ready to start your taxes?

Hand off your taxes, get expert help, or do it yourself.

See Pricing