turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Overseas non-resident tax

Hi, I am from Korea and currently studying in the US. I have earned money while working at a university and filed a tax from 2019 to 2020. In September, I am going back to Korea, but I will keep my bank account open. I wonder if I can file a tax outside of the US. I would like to report the income that I earned in 2021 and I will be getting stock dividends this year. I wonder if turbotax e-file is available for alien non-resident taxpayers who do not have a US mobile phone/address; I see that I have to do the extra security verification (e.g., getting a text message for a security code) while logging in. I am looking for a way to file a tax online in Korea.

Thank you.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
cpearo22
Expert Alumni

Hi Yunsun4,

To answer your question, it first depends on if you are considered a non-resident alien, or not. 

"An alien is any individual who is not a U.S. citizen or U.S. national. A nonresident alien is an alien who has not passed the green card test or the substantial presence test."  Being a student, it is likely you pass the substantial presence test (spending 31+ days in the US this year, and 183 days in the US over the last 3 years), therefore able to file the form 1040, supported by Turbotax.  

Non-resident aliens file a form 1040-NR which is possible via sprint tax, but not Turbotax.

Pertaining to not having a US address or phone number, as long as it is not the free version of Turbotax, you should be able to enter a foreign address.  For the phone number, there are a few options to leave blank, or enter in a friend or family's number or a dummy number.  If needing 2-factor authentication, this should be available by email.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/taxes/discussion/register-with-foreign-address/00/1362235

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/taxes/discussion/how-do-i-enter-a-foreign-contact-phone-number/00/655099  

Thanks for your answer, cpearo22. 

Yes, I have been considered a non-resident alien. The last tax form I filled in was also 1040, and I have been staying here in the US since last fall. Thank you so much for letting me know about sprint tax. I will definitely try it for the next tax report.

Have a great day!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies