turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

stylin

I live in MA work CT. I receive 2 W2s so when doing MA return it doubles my income - do I do a wage adjustment or is this correct? (adds box 16 for each W2)

I have 2 W-2's that have wages entered for more than one state. The program transfered all state wages reported in box 16 of your W-2's to line 3 of Massachusetts Form 1. Since it did this it doubled my state wages. Do I do a wage adjustment and deduct 1 set of wages or do I keep it how it is? (salary $70k so showing $140k and taxing me on that amount, not my true wages)

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DianeW
Expert Alumni

I live in MA work CT. I receive 2 W2s so when doing MA return it doubles my income - do I do a wage adjustment or is this correct? (adds box 16 for each W2)

Only one W2 should be entered in TurboTax for the same employer unless there really is two W2s where the combined amount is your total wage.  Based on your information in the question you only made $70k for this employer. 

In TurboTax enter one W2 but when you get to the State tax area fill in the information for each state as shown in the screenshot attached. (Edit if you have already entered it, delete the second W2.)

This should work out the calculations for you.  Click here for MA rules on credit for taxes paid to another state.

• Since MA requires you to pay tax on all of your income because you are a resident, all $70k should show up on that return. 
  • CT requires you to pay tax on the income you earn there whether or not you live there so for this state you are a non-resident. 
  • MA will give your a credit for taxes paid to CT on the same income.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
DianeW
Expert Alumni

Only one W2 should be entered in TurboTax for the same employer unless there really is two W2s where the combined amount is your total wage.  Based on your information in the question you only made $70k for this employer. 

In TurboTax enter one W2 but when you get to the State tax area fill in the information for each state as shown in the screenshot attached. (Edit if you have already entered it, delete the second W2.)

This should work out the calculations for you.  Click here for MA rules on credit for taxes paid to another state.

• Since MA requires you to pay tax on all of your income because you are a resident, all $70k should show up on that return. 
  • CT requires you to pay tax on the income you earn there whether or not you live there so for this state you are a non-resident. 
  • MA will give your a credit for taxes paid to CT on the same income.

jpmc3rd

I have the same problem with Alabama/Georgia returns.  This work around works if you don't put anything else on the 2nd line except the state.  It calculates correctly and shows up properly on the printable tax forms.  However if you had taxes withheld in both states and enter those in the W-2 boxes along side each state (and leave the income field blank on your resident state) the turbotax calculations are correct, but the company shows up twice on the printable tax form:  one line with withholdings and 0 income and one line with income and no withholdings.   In 2014 Alabama turbotax there was an income worksheet you could check to exclude the income so the same income wouldn't show up twice. i.e. an override.  it's not there yet in tubotax 2015 (as of 3/19/16).
jpmc3rd

OK. I solved my problem with the company listing twice.  I went into forms view, right clicked on the extra company listing boxes and chose "override." Then deleted the duplicate company info.  Then right clicked in the withholding box for the remaining instance of the company and chose "override." Then I added the correct withholdings.  The Taxes Due/Refunded at the top matched what I had before I made the overrides.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies