Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

BillM223
Expert Alumni

Only one 8606 generated on our joint 2020 Return

You are correct that the spouse's 8606-S should appear but doesn't if you indicate that all of the spouse's IRA contribution is deductible. A workaround is this: on the screen that asks if you want to make your IRA contributions deductible, for your spouse answer "Yes, make part of [spouse's name]'s IRA contribution nondeductible."

A new line will appear asking how much to make nondeductible. Enter "1" (as in one dollar).

Now your spouse's 8606 will appear, and you haven't changed your tax much (if at all).

Your 8606 is still there (8606-T, your spouse's will be 8606-S).

@CCDAve

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

@CCDAve wrote:

I have the same problem.  My wife and I both have a non-deductible IRA basis that is carried forward each year on a Form 8606.  This year the IRA worksheet shows it properly updated for our 2021 taxes, but only my 8606 is generated for our tax return.  She has no 8606 form to print out for our records, I can only get to it thru the IRA worksheet.  I'm concerned the IRS won't get her 8606.  Is this a TurboTax bug?  Any suggestions?

Did your wife make a new non-deductible 2021 contribution or have  a 2021 distribution?   8606 forms are only generated if the non-deductible basis changes, otherwise the last filed 8606 remains active until the basis changes.

You don't normally enter a 8606 itself. It is automatically created when:

1) You make a new non-deductible Traditional IRA contribution.
2) You take a distribution from a IRA that has a after-tax "basis".
3) You make a conversion of a retirement account to a Roth IRA
4) You have distribution from Roth IRA.

[For more information:
See IRS 8606 instructions
https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i8606.pdf
"Who must file" page 1.]

If none of those occurred, then the last filed 8606 remains in effect

There are some circumstances when a 8606 must be files for other reasons and might require filing a stand-alone 8606.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1899503-what-is-form-8606-nondeductible-iras-used-for

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

I followed your suggestion and it did force TurboTax to generate my wife's 8606.  I wish this problem would be addressed by Intuit, last year and this year were the first times in many years I've had problems using TurboTax.  Thanks for your help!

@CCDAve wrote:

I followed your suggestion and it did force TurboTax to generate my wife's 8606.  I wish this problem would be addressed by Intuit, last year and this year were the first times in many years I've had problems using TurboTax.  Thanks for your help!

There is no problem with TurboTax.  You only need a 8696 if there was a new non-deductible contribution or a distribution from an IRA and in both cases you must specify which spouse it is for and that determines which spouse the 8696 is for.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

@CCDAve 

do you plan to file a form 8606 with your basis going up one dollar each year because you want to force a Form 8606.?

Hint: it is not a good suggestion.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies