Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

mburns75

One of my employers did not withhold my federal taxes. Is that something I can challenge to keep from paying them myself?

I was employed with a school district for one month. They made me repay their part of my benefits and now I have the W2 showing no federal taxes were withheld.
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
MaryK4
Expert Alumni

One of my employers did not withhold my federal taxes. Is that something I can challenge to keep from paying them myself?

Because you were not employed with them very long, there is limited recourse.  Do you remember if you completed a W-4 before starting?  Because the withholding is just prepayment for taxes you would have had to pay anyway, it is difficult to show any damages.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
mburns75

Thank you for your reply. Yes, I completed a W4 and the entire onboarding process of paperwork. They did pay the SS and Medicare taxes, just not the federal income tax. 

PattiF
Expert Alumni

As MaryK1101 mentioned, you will have to pay the federal withholding whether they withheld it from your wages or you pay it now. Federal withholding reduces your take home pay. The amount that should have been deducted for a month's employment should not be too great of an amount. It is surprising that the school district did not withhold the tax but it will be difficult to challenge this.

@mburns75 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
mburns75

Thank you for this information. It ended up being over $1000, but I appreciate the advice from you both. I'll just pay it. @MaryK4 @PattiF 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies