Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

kkel2000

On this year's New York State W-2 in Box 14 there is "NYPFL" which is for New York Paid Family Leave. What category description should I choose for this box 14 entry?

On this year's New York State W-2 in Box 14 there is "NYPFL" which is for New York Paid Family Leave. What category description should I choose for this box 14 entry?

That is not correct.  This is NY state disability insurance tax withheld. It is DEDUCTIBLE and should be coded as such. If you put it in "Other - not on the list above" it will not carry to state taxes in itemized deductions. Use the code "Other mandatory deductible state or local tax not on above list" Thanks. Here is the link to the NYS notice:  https://www.tax.ny.gov/pdf/notices/n17_12.pdf

I have edited the original answer so that people will not get the wrong impression if they don't read all the comments.

Yes, NYPFL should probably be a valid entry on the pull-down list.
keving

why does this SDI and PFL code show up on my W2 when I live in CT!?

Stryp3z
Returning Member

Hi, 

I am getting the same error, TT does not allow me to e-file with any of the choices given in this thread.
Tried the different categorizations, I removed both entries, and nothing. 
Can someone from TT give an answer as to why I can't e-File for NYS with or without those 2 lines in box 14? 

thanks

Stryp3z
Returning Member

This is the actual error from the Win10 TurboTax 2019:

Annotation 2020-07-07 155430.png

Stryp3z
Returning Member

After trying different solutions, the one that worked for me was the following one, removing the entries in the Box 14 entries in NJ W2 forms: 

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/state-taxes/discussion/not-elible-for-electronic-e-filing-ny-state...

skauhl28

what do I put this under

AmyC
Expert Alumni

Box 14 is general information used in specific areas. In your case, the NYPFL is only helpful to enter if you are claiming medical deductions. Otherwise, you should not enter the information.

If you do enter NYPFL, choose "Other Mandatory Deductible State or Local Tax".

@skauhl28

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
MattCorallo
Returning Member

There is no "Other" box in the 2020 online turbotax edition - every category is something specific about a given state. How should one enter NYPFL for 2020 taxes?

LenaH
Employee Tax Expert

NYPFL would be listed under Other mandatory deductible state or local tax not listed. If you itemize, this is deductible on Schedule A of your tax return. 

I have attached a picture for additional reference. This option is from the TurboTax Online edition. You should have similar or exact screens on your online version. 

@MattCorallo

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
MattCorallo
Returning Member

In 2020 online premier, there is no such option.Screenshot from 2021-01-31 18-21-31.png

ToddL99
Expert Alumni

Choose Other–not on above list. Don’t worry. We'll figure out if it impacts your return or not. If we need more information, we'll ask you.

Employers can put just about anything in box 14; it's a catch-all for items that don't have their own dedicated box on the W-2.

In TurboTax, enter the description from your W-2's box 14 on the first field in the row. Enter the dollar amount and select the correct tax category that goes with that description.

If none of the categories apply, scroll to the bottom of the list and choose Other–not on above list.

If box 14 is blank, just skip over it. Don't enter a 0 for any blank boxes.

What is Box 14 on my W-2 for?

MattCorallo
Returning Member

On the 2020 edition, there is *no* "Other" option, please see the screenshot above. https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/state-taxes/discussion/re-on-this-year-s-new-york-state-w-2-in-box...

SysSys

there is 2 options

- Other deductible state or local tax

- Other (not classified)

which one???

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies