Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Anonymous
Not applicable

On this year's New York State W-2 in Box 14 there is "NYPFL" which is for New York Paid Family Leave. What category description should I choose for this box 14 entry?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
LenaH
Employee Tax Expert

On this year's New York State W-2 in Box 14 there is "NYPFL" which is for New York Paid Family Leave. What category description should I choose for this box 14 entry?

No. NYPFL in Box 14 of your W-2 should be listed under the category of Other deductible state or local tax when you are entering your W-2 on the federal screen. If you itemize your deductions, this is deductible on Schedule A of your federal tax return. 

@TB23185

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

40 Replies

If you mean NYPFL in box 14, then go ahead and use the "Other mandatory state or local tax not on the above list" category. This flows through to Line 5a on Schedule A.

[Edited 1/24/2019 5:55 PM CST]

That is not correct.  This is NY state disability insurance tax withheld. It is DEDUCTIBLE and should be coded as such. If you put it in "Other - not on the list above" it will not carry to state taxes in itemized deductions. Use the code "Other mandatory deductible state or local tax not on above list" Thanks.
Here is the link to the NYS notice:  <a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://www.tax.ny.gov/pdf/notices/n17_12.pdf">https://www.tax.ny.gov/pdf/notices/n17_12.pdf</a>
susanreckman
Returning Member

Can someone from TurboTax please confirm if the user's response above is the best way to deal with this for tax year 2018? I have a NYPFL on my W-2 related to bereavement and would appreciate advice.

Are you referring to an entry in box 14 (the premiums paid for the NYPFL) or are you referring to income that you received from the PFL program? The benefits (income) from PFL are generally taxable for federal and state purposes - see <a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://taxnews.ey.com/news/2017-1476-new-york-paid-family-leave-benefits-are-taxable-contributions-...>

If you mean the box 14 entry, then go ahead and use the "Other mandatory state or local tax not on the above list" category. This flows through to Line 5a on Schedule A.

With all the TT customers in NY it would seem appropriate that it be explicitly added to the list to avoid this confusion, description NY Paid Family Leave (NY PFL) disability insurance tax withheld

I do not understand the reason Turbo tax can not give the correct answer. I do not know what to do w/ the NY PFL, I am paying for this service and you are not providing it. This could be consider ecommerce fraud.  TT should contact the NY State Tax authorities find out what it means and what folks are supposed to do, that is the purpose of paying for your service.
andrewci3

So how do you deduct this?

Not seeing quite what you are saying. Should it be "Other mandatory deductible state or local tax not listed"?

The category proposed by the TT agent in the answer above does NOT exist!
Please clarify whether to select
"Other - not on the list above" OR "Other mandatory deductible state or local tax not listed" asap.
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

@francescangeli83  The exact wording is slightly different in different places in TurboTax, but they are all the same category. The correct category for NYPFL in W-2 box 14 is any one of the following slight variations, whichever appears in the list that you are selecting from.
- Other mandatory deductible state or local tax not on above list
- Other Mandatory Deductible State or Local Tax Not Listed Above
- Other mandatory deductible state or local tax not listed
- Other deductible state or local tax

The original Turbo Tax answer (about a year ago) to this question was incorrect, which is why I responded as I did, with the correct info and the NYS link stating that NYPFL is a state disability insurance tax. As such, it is a tax to be deducted on Sch A itemized deductions.  HOWEVER, turbo tax edited the original answer, a month ago, to what it is now, which has made my original comment confusing.  So, I will reiterate that this NYPFL is a deductible state disability tax.  When inputting W-2 info the description drop down list for box 14 doesn't have a listing for this NYPFL.  So, choose the code "Other mandatory deductible state or local tax not on above list"  This code will carry the amount to deductible taxes on Sch A.  If you chose "Other - not on above list" it will not flow through to Sch A as a deductible tax.
I hope this clears things up and is helpful.  Thanks.
john4488

yes that does help clear things up, actually. Thanks carlo
davefesta

I switched to "Other mandatory deductible state or local tax not on above list" , it's still not letting me efile for NY. any other ideas?
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

@davefesta  The description you select for the NYPFL entry in box 14 is not what is preventing you from e-filing. No one else in this thread mentioned having a problem e-filing. Please post a new separate question of your own about the problem you are having e-filing your New York return.

In your new question you will have to give more details than "not letting me." State how far you get and exactly what happens when you try to e-file your New York return. If you get an error message, give the exact message. Also state whether you are e-filing your federal tax return at the same time, or have already e-filed your federal return. Again, do not answer these questions here. Post a new separate question of your own.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies