aliceenglander

On schedule D why are amounts shown in both lines 8a and 8b?

The Schedule D is getting info from a downloaded 1099B worksheet from Schwab.  It is putting numbers on both lines 8a and 8b so it's doubling the long-term gain.  If I override 8b to zero, I get a message saying this should not be overridden. 

How do I get tt to report only on one line?  It has a complex 8949 so it may be I need line 8b, but how do I get rid of 8a?

fanfare

This is a new one I haven't seen reported here before.

try MENU.File.Remove imported data

then do the import again.

PS lots of problems with Schwab this year

fanfare

try MENU.File.Remove imported data

then do the import again.

aliceenglander

Thank you!  This worked, with one addition.

After I had downloaded the original Schwab files on 2/15 when they were first available, I got an email from Schwab saying they had corrected files.  So I downloaded them again.

I think either Schwab or TurboTax did not reload them correctly and left some vestige of the old info in my tax file.  

This time, knowing so much more from my recent sleuthing, after I removed the Schwab files as you suggested, I looked at my tax forms.  There were 2 1099B Worksheets from Schwab and one was carrying over to my Schedule D.  So I deleted the 2 worksheets.

THEN I redownloaded the Schwab files and my Schedule D looks OK, with the data in only one line (8b).  I still need to do the final proofing, but it looks right to me.

So either I crossed hands somehow or one of the programs isn't allowing for downloading more than once, which we have to do if the our bank provides a corrected 1099.

THANK YOU for pointing me in the right direction!

Alice