Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

On my 2020 federal tax return summary it says my effective tax rate is 5.99%. When I do the math it's really 34.19%. All I want to know is why?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
ErnieS0
Expert Alumni

On my 2020 federal tax return summary it says my effective tax rate is 5.99%. When I do the math it's really 34.19%. All I want to know is why?

The effective tax rate is total tax ÷ adjusted gross income or Form 1040 line 24 ÷ line 11.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Okay, what I was doing was dividing line 15 by line 11 which seems like a more true or assessment of your effective tax rate to me.  In any case when I divide line 24 by line 11 I get 18.38%  not the 5.99% as stated by the summary.  I'd like to know how TurboTax got the 5.99%.  Any idea?

SusanY1
Expert Alumni

It sounds like your tax return includes some tax credits as well.  

TurboTax calculates credits as part of your effective tax rate, which a division of Line 15 or Line 24 does not include.  To reach TurboTax's calculation, reduce your total tax (Line 24) by the amount of tax credits received. You will find this sum on Line 32.    Then divide the result of that subtraction by your taxable income (Line 15).

(Line 24-Line32)/Line 15 should give you a more accurate figure and I would expect this number to come close to the 5.99%

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thanks for trying but line 32 is zero. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies